We’re a bit late to the party but we’re totally hooked on our air fryer. The pie maker has been relegated to the cupboard and our air fryer now takes pride of place on the kitchen counter. And the latest creation is air fryer Oreos – which are 100% absolutely scrumptious.
Deep-fried Oreos has been one of those decadent desserts doing the rounds for years now. It involves dipping an Oreo cookie into pancake batter and then crisping it up in a vat of boiling hot oil. But let’s face it – they’re packed with grease and calories and while they may be delicious, surely there’s a healthier way. Enter the air fryer oreos.
Recently, an air fryer Oreo version popped up on TikTok and encouraged thousands of home cooks to crack open a box or two of the famous biscuits, cover them with bread roll dough and air fry them to crisp perfection. However, out here in Australia, tubes of ready-to-use bread dough are not readily available so we had to consider alternatives.
How To Make Air Fryer Oreos
One creative mum shared her recipe for Air fryer oreos on a Facebook Group and the crowd went wild.
She posted the super easy recipe to the Share Kmart Air Fryer Recipes Australia group:
- Pancake Mix (such as Buttermilk Pancake Shaker)
- Preheat Air Fryer on 180c for 5 mins (I used a 5.3L Air fryer)
- Take out basket and line with baking paper.
- Grease paper with butter (my first batch stuck so I greased with butter and it was perfect)
- Add water to pancake mix but keep it nice and thick, then pour batter into a bowl.
- Dip the Oreos into the batter and place in Air Fryer.
- Put in as many cookies that will fit nicely.
- Air Fry for 7mins 180c flip half-way.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar.
Kinda Scared I’ll Like It Too Much
The post received hundreds of very enthusiastic comments.
“I am going to be at home eating this for the rest of my life,” said one.
“Going to try this! Might use silicone muffin moulds to put them in onto rack and get a nice plump round shape to it,” offered another.
“I wonder if mint slice biscuits would work as well making it nice and gooey in the middle,” suggested one home cook.
“Taking pancake bites to the next level!!” exclaimed another.
Oh yum, we can’t wait to try it!
Would you be keen to make or try air fryer oreos? Tell us in the comments below.