There you were with your girlfriends, having a great time without the kids hassling you, when disaster strikes. After a few too many glasses of wine, your coordination becomes a little impaired, and before you know it, you’ve spilt wine on the carpet!
Follow these steps to try and get your carpet looking spick again.
1. Immediately blot up the wine
- Time is critical in this step, you need to get as much wine out of the carpet as fast as you can so that it doesn’t soak too deep. So, ACT FAST! Use paper towels and blot to remove the wine from the carpet as soon as you notice the spill.
- Whenever you are blotting up a spill from your carpet, always be sure to blot it up in an up and down motion. Avoid wiping from side to side, as you will push the liquid deeper into the carpet, and make the stain bigger than it already is.
- Make sure that you work from the outside in, to avoid spreading the liquid further.
2. Pour COLD water onto the stain
- Grab some cold water from the fridge, and pour a moderate amount over the stain. Continue blotting as you do this. The cold water helps to dilute what is left of the stain, and make removal easier.
3. Create a spot removing paste
- In order to get rid of what is left, simply mix a three to one ratio of water to baking soda. Add this to the stain, and allow to dry. After this, vacuum what is left, repeat if necessary.
So there you have it, a simple, yet effective way to remove wine, or ANY stains from your carpet, and as mums, we definitely have our hands full with kiddy stains!
Let us know how you remove stains in the comments below.