Did you know children aged 1-3 years are most at risk of accidental poisoning?

One mum shares how her 3yr old daughter took about 30 tablets earlier this year.

Stevie Niki shared her daughter was only gone for seconds when she climbed up to the medicine cupboard and took the pills from the cupboard. Thankfully they were melatonin tablets.

More than 5000 children are admitted to hospital each year in Australia for medicine poisoning.

Related – Mum shares the terrifying moment her toddler got into the medicine cupboard and consumed a bottle of pills.

A new campaign and important reminder for parents that storage of expired and unwanted medicines in the home can be dangerous and unsafe disposal of unwanted medicines can lead to environmental damage.

There is a free and convenient way to dispose of your unwanted medicines responsibly via your local pharmacy, and it’s called Return Unwanted Medicines (or The RUM Project).

When did you last go through your medicine cabinet? What’s inside can be dangerous! Please check it today.

Share your comments below.

  • yep and also keep the cleaning products and beauty products out of reach. you don’t want your child eating nail polish or drinking perfume


  • I check the dates of medication once a month and if they are out of date, I take them to the local chemist to dispose of. It’s a good habit that I’ve gotten myself into.


  • We are a bit complacent, so thank you for this timely reminder.


  • This acts as a good reminder, thanks!


  • I just cleaned mine out on the weekend. We have a 16 year old though so feel he understands. When he was younger, our medicines were always in a basket way up high and medication was only administered by us.


  • That’s scary that the child was able to climb up to it- we have one up high also, hopefully considering that even I have to get a stool, it’s high enough!


  • An important reminder to keep your children safe!


  • I have my medicines up so high even I need to stand on something to reach them.


  • Even if your medicines are in a high cupboard it should still be locked. I know the Aunty of a preschool age child who pushed chairs and a table to a cupboard above the fridge, put one of the chairs on the table and managed to reach orange flavoured medicine a few years ago. We check our smoke alarms twice a year – at the beginning and end of daylight saving. I clean my medicine cupboard out every few months. I always check the date of any I use during that time. there is also now use or best before dates on a few other medical items too, not just medications.


  • Our medicine supplies are locked away and we keep it in good and current order.


  • With small kids, the medicines need to be kept away. You never know when and what can happen.
    I go regularly through my medicine cabinet, at least every 3 months.


  • Important indeed !

    • I prefer to have no medication at home at all, but sometimes you have to….
      Other then some Panadol for the kids my husband is the only one using prescription medication for high blood pressure which he keeps in our bedroom out of reach and hidden for the kids.


  • My medicine cabinet is free of everything that we don’t have to take every day.


  • It can happen so very quickly


  • It is so easy to happen. And child proof lids do not keep kids out if they do manage to get hold of them.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating