Hello!

10 Comments

Mum shares the terrifying moment her toddler got into the medicine cupboard and consumed a bottle of pills.

An Australian mother has issued a warning to other parents after her daughter climbed up to her medicine cupboard and ‘overdosed on prescription medication’.

Stevie Niki, who blogs at My Tribe of Six, shared an honest post about the moment her three-year-old ‘managed to consume 20 to 30 capsules and 6 Strepsils’, shares Daily Mail.

While the medication was in fact ‘slow release Melatonin’ and not harmful, Stevie said she wanted others to ‘learn from my mistake’.

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

Oates Broom Indoor
Oates Broom Indoor

Submitting your rating…

‘You can never be too vigilant when it comes to your children but also remember accidents happen to all of us, even the most cautious of us,’ she wrote in a candid blog post.

‘So don’t be too quick to judge,’ she added.

The situation played out when Stevie had her aunt, cousin and her two children over to her home.

The kids were playing ‘happily and quietly’ in the bedroom – which she thought was ‘totally safe and kid proof’ when disaster struck:

‘When we came back inside shortly after, I found the dining chairs that we have stacked (to prevent our one year old from using them to climb) were moved to the other side of the kitchen’.

Processed with VSCO with a4 preset Processed with VSCO with a4 preset

She soon figured out that her three-year-old daughter had managed to get into the medicine cupboard – which is ‘above our microwave and difficult for even I to reach’.

The little girl had then reached the ‘half full container of prescription medication and some brightly-coloured Strepsils sitting next to it down from the cupboard’.

She then swallowed 30 capsules and six Strepsils. Stevie confessed that she was ‘riddled with guilt and total shame’ when she asked her daughter where the pills were:

‘They’re in my tummy mummy,’ her little girl told the mother-of-four.

Thankfully after they rushed off to the hospital and saw the doctor, both mum and daughter were dismissed.


Mum shares her terrifying story “I almost killed her…”


‘There are two silver linings to this story. The first is that the medication she overdosed on was slow release Melatonin which is the artificial version of the naturally occurring hormone in our brain that helps us to relax and go to sleep,’ she said.

‘The second is that we have an array of various prescription medications sitting in the medicine cupboard that could have been potentially deadly if she had of decided to overdose of them instead.’

The mum said that she was aware that she would be ‘judged for this':

‘[But] while you may potentially be on your high horse judging me, it really isn’t something that is that uncommon,’ she added.

The mother encouraged others to ‘empathise’ with her and be ‘vigilant’ when it comes to their kids.

‘Remember accidents happen to all of us,’ she concluded.

Since sharing her post on Facebook, she has received several messages of support from other mothers.

To follow more of My Tribe of Six on Facebook, click here.

You can read more blogs from My Tribe Of Six here.

Follow mytribeofsix on Instagram.

This post originally appeared on My Tribe of Six.

Share your comments below.

Image via My Tribe of Six

  • kids are a lot more smarter than we give them credit for and we need to be very careful with things like this

    Reply

  • I heard of a pre-school age child (I know the child’s Aunty) who pushed a small table over to the fridge, put a chair at the edge of the table, lifted another chair onto the table, then climbed up and could reach the cupboard door handle above the fridge where the baby panadol was stored. Obviously she like the flavour of it and decided she would drink some. Her Mum stood on her toes to reach the cupboard to get it when needed. Obviously Missy had seen her get it out or put it away. Living a long way from a town in a country area the Mum contacted RFDS for medical advice and was told to give her strong salty water to make her vomit, then call back if she was still concerned. Fortunately she was ok and didn’t have to be flown to a hospital. As it was, the Dr. was out on an emergency call in the plane about 2 hours away.

    Reply

  • So glad the little tot is ok.

    Reply

  • Yes, accidents happen. We have a combination lock on our medicine cabinet.

    Reply

  • This could have ended so badly. Fortunately it didn’t.

    Reply

  • So glad she is safe now. You can be the safest of safest parent and things like this happen.

    Reply

  • Lucky the young girl came to no harm and was okay!

    Reply

  • Thank God it ended well and it was only the slow release Melantonin she took !
    We all have these moments that we realize something could have gone totally wrong and we just want to hug our babies tightly.

    Reply

  • This could honestly happen to any mum other there no matter how much they think that it won’t – kids will always try to get things they know they are not supposed to.

    Thankfully this little girl told the truth and she was ok and no serious harm was done.

    Reply

  • I left a (closed with a childproof lid) bottle of nurofen on the bench for about 20 seconds while I turned around to take two. My toddler had grabbed the bottle, opened it and swallowed one before I even knew he had anything. A frantic 10 minutes followed with a call to nurse on call who then transferred me to the poisons helpline. They told me its extremely common for kids to get into it no matter how well locked up it is. If you tell kids no it just makes them so much more determined some times.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join