Toddlers life changed forever in the blink of an eye.
Jayden was just one when his mum boiled the kettle to make herself a cup of tea, she turned her back for just a moment when the unthinkable happened.
Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Jayden reaching for the cup.
Before she could do anything, the freshly boiled water tipped off the bench and splashed all over Jayden’s neck, shoulder, chest, back and face.
His skin started blistering immediately.
Jayden’s mum, Anita, said “He was screaming and shaking. His dad rushed him under cold water while I called the ambulance. It was the most terrifying time.”
In shock and feeling helpless, the family were rushed by ambulance to their local hospital, where his initial treatment began.
But it wasn’t enough.
Soon after, Jayden was flown to Brisbane by the Royal Flying Doctors service where he underwent emergency surgery to treat his scalds.
It was the longest two-weeks of their life.
They watched on helplessly as their baby endured multiple operations to save him from pain.
“It was an extremely hard time. I was unsure of how to hold and handle him as every time I touched him or lifted him he would just cry. I felt as though all I was doing was hurting him.”
Jayden had a total of four general anaesthetics during his two-week hospital stay to help him cope with the overwhelming pain and give his body the rest it needed to mend.
Thankfully, Jayden is now home while his scars continue to heal, but he will have regular check-ups to monitor his progress.
Hot beverage scalds are the number one cause of burn injury in children and it can happen to anyone at any time.
Share your comments below.