I remember it like it was yesterday, even though now it’s been 28 years!

Mom and I decided it was time to get some serious cleaning done in the kitchen. We scrubbed the kitchen floors on our hands and knees, and then followed up with a hand applied wax. Then we tackled the oven. Not a self-cleaning oven, rather an old-fashioned gas oven which needed to be sprayed and scraped and scrubbed. This took the better part of a whole day. We then decided that, as a reward for all of our efforts and toil, we would bake a batch of Toll House cookies. So we measured, sifted, and stirred, then put our rounded tablespoon measures of perfect cookie dough onto our greased cookie sheets, and went to put them into our pristinely scrubbed and preheated oven, which sat on our shiny, freshly waxed floor.

Then it happened…

The fates looked upon our activities and smiled a sinister smile. In this June Cleaver moment, they instead envisioned Lucy Ball…and the planets realigned to alter the scene. My stockinged feet slipped ever so slightly, just at the precise moment I was leaning into the oven with the cookie sheet full of dough. The sheet upended, landing dough side down all over the hot interior of the opened oven door. Frustrated and panicked that the cookies would begin baking on the hot surface, my mother filled a bucket of hot, soapy water. We set the bucket down on the clean floor. We began scooping hot, melty cookie dough out of the oven, and into the bucket of soapy water.

Just as we were cleaning the last of the mess out of the oven, my knee hit the bucket. Two gallons of sludgey, cookie-dough, melted-chocolate-infused water spilled all over our newly waxed floor, leaving a pool of mush and mayhem all over the kitchen. We sat in the mess and laughed until we cried.

Even though it was, by all counts, a complete kitchen disaster, it remains one of my mother’s and my favorite memories of being together in the kitchen.

This Real Story is from Missmanic, 03/11/2013
We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • I was preparing to put a slice in a circular cake tin in the oven to cook at a friend’s place trying to be helpful. What I wasn’t told was that it was a spring form tin and the bottom fell out and the mixture all over the floor. Their dog thought it was great as I forgot he was inside with his owner and came running when I squealed in horror. I managed to stop him from eating some of it because it was very sweet and I didn’t him to have it because of the sugar content. Lucky I didn’t put in the full amount listed in the recipe. It took awhile to get the sticky mess off the floor. I have never used that type of cake tin again.


  • A wonderful mother and daughter story,loved it!


  • This isn’t a cooking incident, just the kitchen.
    I bought some cordial in a fairly big bottle as we had friends, including children staying with us. As I was putting it in cupboard one of the kids ran through and accidentally bumped me. I dropped the cordial, the bottle split and I had cordial all over the floor, the exterior of the fridge, the cupboard next to the passage door, and the other side of the kitchen – all over the oven and cupboard under the sink. It is small “square” old shaped kitchen. One of the kids stood and laughed at me, then ran outside. Just as well as I didn’t see the funny side of it before I cleaned the surplus up, then the all the surfaces expect the floor with hot soapy water, then with clean water before drying thoroughly. I then “attacked” the floor with hot water and floor cleaner which contained lemon scent and carb soda to freshen the air as well as the floor. I let it dry then checked for any sticky spots I had missed – only one. I re-cleaned that area. It put me off cordial., but unfortunately not the kids.


  • no disaster if you think about it.


  • A very funny story but so messy!


  • A kitchen disaster happens at my place seven days of the week. Lol. I am not known for my cooking skills


  • Really a very interesting article! Thanks for sharing this!


  • Disasters make the best memories. thanks for sharing you ‘funny’ story.


  • Thanks for sharing your special story! :)


  • Such beautiful treasured memories! Thanks for sharing


  • Thanks for the laugh, I’ve had a day like this too, wish I’d never gotten out of bed


  • So glad you can look back and laugh. I remember wanting to bake a cake for a treat after dinner, so after school I bolted home from school and couldn’t find a cake pan, so used a saucepan (with a handle and all) and oh I tell you everyone in the house laughed, I think the handle melted and it was a complete fail…I cant tell you how devastated I was (was over 20 plus years ago)..but its a funny story lol


  • Lol, what a picture that creates :). My worst, well, one of the worst, was taking a short cut to making caramel tarts by heating a can of condensed milk…. I forgot about it being on the stove only to hear this almighty bang come from the kitchen & when I raced in the contents of the can were splattered dramatically all over the ceiling….. a 15 foot ceiling at that!

    • at least you weren’t in the kitchen!


  • I think we have all had at least one of these disasters


  • Murphy’s Law…or just plain bad luck.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating