Have you ever written a list of goals and thought, “Wow, if you’d have told me several years ago that these would be my goals, I’d have laughed (or cried…)”
A new year as a new mum and a completely different perspective on life, for me meant a lot of thinking, re-evaluating and considering the joys of life and parenthood.
Of all the goals I have written over the years, I never thought I would ever write a goal list like this.
Surely I can’t be the only parent who has set themselves these goals, but friends just laughed at me; and my partner just rolled his eyes!
My new mother’s new year resolutions – (some are rather tongue in cheek…)
- Remember PJs are not real clothes. Unless holding a PJ party every day, get dressed – to feel good, it helps if I look good; DO NOT become a sweat pant mom! (I have nothing against sweat pant moms, but unless exercising I have never worn trackies, just coz I have a baby now, doesn’t mean I should start…)
- Shower and clean teeth daily, twice a day would be even better!
- Organise healthy treats and keep food to hand so I stop eating crap, afterall my baby eats better than I do, in fact he eats more than I do, maybe I should make this goal – EAT FULL STOP. (How can I teach him about healthy eating, when I am constantly snacking due to being ravenous whilst breastfeeding…)
- Maybe get the washing on more often, so we don’t run out of clothes or bed linen. (Is this one humanly possible?? I guess if I don’t get around to putting it away its at least clean and ready to go even if it is strewn all over the house and it looks more like we live in a Chinese laundry)
- Start jogging??(Dunno where I will find the energy for that, but we were given a jogger style stroller, shouldn’t it be used for that, or was someone dropping hints… Maybe I will need those trackies?!)
- Get up earlier so I can get work done before bubs awakes for yet another feed, which reminds me…
- Spend less time on the couch, surely Caidyn’s feeding will slow down somewhere along the line, the couch isn’t the only thing looking saggy from all the sitting around !!
- Stop staying up so late trying to fit everything in, this new alarm clock I have can’t be turned off or put into snooze; when he wants attention he wants it NOW!Go to bed before you become a train wreck should be my new motto…
- Take off my cranky pants for my partner (and any other pants for that matter, although not quite ready for bubs number 2 yet!); he’s trying hard to be super-dad and hey, he’s changing those poo-ey nappies he said he never would, it would kinda be nice and good for us all if he stuck around for the long term … And last but not least…
- Don’t be so hard on myself as a new mum !
Obviously they aren’t my only goals, but considering how exhausted I am, these will do for starters and then when I am ready, I can start to look more seriously at my business goals and our joint family goals.
What I do know is this:
* Baby Massage Classes are back on the cards for 2014, so watch this space for class dates
I am also investigating the possibility of also delivering 1st Aid for Families, as well as other classes, so if you can spare 97 seconds of your time, drop me an email with what classes you would like to see us doing this year.
It doesn’t matter what time of year it is, every day is a good day to write and set new goals