Victorian family share their frightening story to warn parents and children about the dangers.

Little Kieran Neville will never forget the time he was trying to make porridge and it left him in the hospital burns unit needing surgery.

“I was cooking my porridge,” Kieran said of the September 2017 accident at Warrnambool, in a video released as part of a national burns awareness campaign.

He was left screaming in pain after leaning too close to the gas stove, causing his pyjamas to catch fire.

His mother threw him to the ground and managed to extinguish the fire before rushing him to the shower and applying cold water.

“Stop, drop, roll,” Kieran says in the video, recalling the tactic his mum used which helped extinguish the flames.

He was flown to Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hospital needing a skin graft and months of physical therapy to regain feeling in his burned torso.

Royal Children’s Hospital burns surgeon Warwick Teague said it was important to immediately douse a burn in cold water for at least 20 minutes.

Share your comments below

  • A parents worst nightmare. We need to be so vigilant when kids are around hot things


  • Hopefully that will never happen again. How awful, Poor child.


  • Very scary and awful for the family but lucky the Mum was so quick and did the right things or it could have been a lot worse.


  • A terrible accident and horrific ordeal for the little one and must have been terrifying for everyone.


  • That is so scary. It could happen with any item of clothing. Kids really don’t understand how hot things are.


  • So scary you can’t take your eyes off them


  • Aw bless, poor Kieran ! Sorry but I think he looks too little to cook his own porridge.


  • I never hold a child or pet when I have food or drinks – hot or cold. When I sit at the table with them (which I mostly do) I usually sit in close enough that they can’t sit on me either. The dog has been trained too. If it does manage to get up it is told “no, get down”. I have asked visitors to not let children or pets get up of their own accord or pick them up at the table at all.


  • That’s terrifying


  • My worst nightmare! Glad he’s ok!


  • Pyjamas say highly flammable keep away from fire. So just to avoid confusion, the little boy was cooking his own porridge on the gas stove? I let my 3 and 5 yr olds “cook” but I take the pot off the flame for them to stir and I’m standing there holding the pot and reminding them it’s hot! This was so easily avoidable


  • It’s scary how many pyjamas are not fire safe. Most have big labels saying not fire safe which is scary!


  • A dreadful accident – hard to guard against them completely, so yes, it’s important to know wat to do if it happens.


  • It happens so fast :(
    Poor little tyke.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating