A FOUR-year-old UK girl was left fighting for her life after developing deadly sepsis from trying on new shoes.

Sienna Rasul became seriously ill the day after trying school shoes on her bare feet.

Little Sienna was later diagnosed with sepsis, which doctors believe she may have picked up from bacteria in the shoes, reports The Sun.

The deadly condition can be passed on if bacteria enters the body through an open wound.

Doctors think it’s likely Sienna had a cut, graze or bite on her foot that allowed the bacteria to enter her body.

Sienna spent five days on a drip in hospital with her mum Jodie Thomas, 26, by her side.

Jodie said: “I was really shocked when the doctors said it was from trying on new shoes.

“I’ve been worried sick, they’ve had to drain all the poison from her leg.

“Normally she would have socks on but it’s summer time so she was wearing sandals.

“The shoes she liked had been tried on by other little girls and that’s how Sienna picked up the infection.”

Mum-of-three Jodie took Sienna to the doctors when she started crying in agony the day after the shopping trip.

The doctor spotted the infection and used a pen to draw a line around where the infection had spread.

Jodie, of Aberfan, South Wales, said: “By the next day it had spread up her leg and her temperature was raging.

“I drove her straight in to hospital, she was shaking and twitching – it was horrible to see my little girl like that.

“They said it was sepsis and thought they would have to operate.

“But the doctors have managed to drain all the pus from her leg and say the anti-biotic drip will do the job.”

Warning to parents

Jodie is urging parents to make sure their children have socks on when they are trying on shoes.

“I knew you risk getting things like athlete’s foot from trying on shoes but blood poisoning is far more serious,” she said.

“You don’t know whose feet have been in the shoes before you.

“Sienna has been really ill, the infection was moving up her leg and spreading to the rest of her body.

“I’m so glad I got her to the hospital quickly. With mums and dads doing back-to-school shopping I would advise them to take a spare pair of socks with them.”

Share your comments below

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • We all have these bacteria on our skin but if you suddenly get a reaction like this then you are more prone to having the same thing again and need to treat every minor scratch, etc as if its something serious. They must be cleaned and covered. I have battled this infection twice. First time was because of a snake bite and the second was because of a small scrape to the skin in the same area as the bite years later.


  • I can’t believe this happened! How shocking. Poor little thing.


  • Very worrying, always try shoes on with socks


  • wow! Very worrying.


  • OMG. Clearly this is why shoe shops insist you try on any shoes with socks. Now we know why. It’s a good warning and lesson as I’m sure many in department stores where they’re not so well monitored that socks would not be used or considered a priority.


  • Oh goodness, how horrible, thanks for the warning.


  • I worked in a shoe shop many years ago and we were told never to allow anyone to try shoes on with bare feet, we even provided stockings. There should be warning signs in department stores where you can try on without and assistant.


  • I am amazed the store allowed the child to try on the shoes without socks. Guess a supermarket type store where things are not policed might have this happen, but who buys school shoes from one of these.


  • Yep, always take socks with us when shoe shopping. But I wonder, did the Mum report it to the store so the shoes affected could be removed from use?


  • I’ve always used stockings or socks when trying on shoes. Never knew you could get sepsis from trying on new shoes, maybe from second hand shoes. So glad she is going to be okay


  • OMG, I’ve never heard of this. My son generally always has socks on but it’s something we need to obviously be more mindful of now.


  • Wow very scary always a good idea to have socks on. Glad she pulled through.


  • Very sad and could have been easily prevented. Yes definitely always were socks when trying on shoes in shops, and give new shoes that you buy a wipe over with lavender, tea tree or eucalyptus oils to keep germs at bay. I worked in a shoe shop many years ago and we never let anyone try shoes on bare, so have shoe shops stopped this rule?


  • Surely something like this would be a rare occurrence. But still disgusting to think what kind of germs are lurking in new shoes.


  • Hope she makes a full recovery,who would have thought!


  • Shoe stores here won’t let you try on any shoes unless you have socks on


  • oh my that is very scary, poor thing. Hope she is fully mended now and enjoy life again


  • Poor girl. I would never have thought trying on shoes could do this. So this means when trying on Sandals or any shoe always wear socks!


  • This is just terrible. I begin to question if it was the intention to buy shoes that day then why were they not more prepared. These days the shoe stores usually have new stocking socks you can grab to try on shoes if you don’t gave socks with you. But I’m glad this little girl is recovering.


  • Poor girlie, it must have been so painful ! Glad she’s on the mend !!


Post a comment

To post a review please join us or login so we can allocate your points.

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating