This is a great fun experiment the kids will love and it uses ingredients you’ll probably have in your pantry.
What you’ll need:
- A plastic bottle
- 6 cups of flour
- 2 cups of salt
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- white vinegar
- food colouring
- dishwashing liquid.
- Mix the flour, salt, oil and 2 cups of water in a bowl to make the dough.
- Place the empty bottle on a tray.
- Sculpt the dough around the bottle to create a volcano shape, leaving top of bottle clear.
- Fill the bottle up with warm water and a few drops of food colouring.
- Add 4 drops of dish liquid and the baking soda to the water.
- Slowly pour in the vinegar and the volcano will erupt.
I love the idea of getting the kids sculpting and making their own volcano as well as getting it to erupt.
You could easily just do the experiment in a bottle without the dough if you wish. I also like to do this outside and then the mess doesn’t matter and the kids make a whole game around it.
Have you ever tried this before? Please add comment below.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock.com