This is a great fun experiment the kids will love and it uses ingredients you’ll probably have in your pantry.
What you’ll need:
- A plastic bottle
- 6 cups of flour
- 2 cups of salt
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- white vinegar
- food colouring
- dishwashing liquid.
- Mix the flour, salt, oil and 2 cups of water in a bowl to make the dough.
- Place the empty bottle on a tray.
- Sculpt the dough around the bottle to create a volcano shape, leaving top of bottle clear.
- Fill the bottle up with warm water and a few drops of food colouring.
- Add 4 drops of dish liquid and the baking soda to the water.
- Slowly pour in the vinegar and the volcano will erupt.
I love the idea of getting the kids sculpting and making their own volcano as well as getting it to erupt.
You could easily just do the experiment in a bottle without the dough if you wish. I also like to do this outside and then the mess doesn’t matter and the kids make a whole game around it.
Have you ever tried this before? Please add comment below.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock.comWe may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.