A Melbourne toddler died after consuming his mother’s liquid nicotine

The child, who cannot be named for legal reasons, died aged 19 months last June after consuming the substance his mother had poured into bottles of vape juice as she tried to quit smoking, the Coroners Court was told on Monday.

She had turned around to put some of the bottles away at their northwestern suburban home before finding one of them in her child’s mouth, reports 7 news.

The woman washed out the boy’s mouth and called an ambulance but he died in hospital 11 days later.

Coroner Phillip Byrne said it was not a case of neglect but a “momentary lapse of vigilance” by the child’s mother.

He noted the child was much loved and well cared for, and his family were shattered by what had happened.

Everything possible had been done to save the boy’s life, Mr Byrne added.

The mother had imported the liquid nicotine from the US 18 months earlier and was mixing it with vape juice in an attempt to quit smoking.
It is illegal to buy or sell liquid nicotine in Australia.

Mr Byrne will hand down his findings into the boy’s death at a later date.

The inquest has received submissions from health experts and the Australian Tobacco Harm Reduction Association about whether liquid nicotine should be legalised.

Such a tragic story. RIP little one.

Share your comments below

Read more – “My First Vape” Baby Toy: Funny or Offensive?


  • There is alternative methods to help people quit smoking and this Mum chose an illegal one.
    It would not have been sold in a genuine retail shop at all so the source of her obtaining it was illegal too. I hope that person is caught and punished too. This poor child suffered a cruel death as a result of bad choices

    Reply


  • This is such a tragic accident. I do feel for the Mother and hope she will one day forgive herself.

    Reply


  • Awwww. This is such a sad and tragic story. On the one hand, you have a Mum trying to quit smoking. And this was obviously just such a terrible accident. There are no winners however this pans out.

    Reply


  • Horrible. R.I.P. little one. The poor family. Tragic accident that will haunt them forever. :(

    Reply


  • Why is it so easy to buy illegal things online? So tragic and a hard lesson to learn that we must not have toxic things around kids, including cleaning chemicals, use natural products, and if trying to give up smoking there are natural alternatives for it too.

    Reply


  • This is such an awful tragedy. It sounds like she did everything to save her child’s life. It is a reminder to really think about all of the products in my house and making sure that everything is kept away from little ones.

    Reply


  • such a sad accident. I cannot even imagine what this poor mum is going through.

    Reply


  • Such a tragic story that could have been so easily prevented, my heart goes out to the family. RIP little one

    Reply


  • I couldn’t imagine anything worse, condolences. I dont smoke or vape; but lets not cause this mum more grief for now knowing. Lets support each other ladies.

    Reply


  • How tragic ! My heart goes out to this mum, she must feel horrible.

    Reply


  • Very sad accident

    Reply


  • So sad for the family. Must be heart braking.

    Reply


  • How heartbreaking, I can’t imagine the pain the family is going through.

    Reply


  • Another heartbreaking loss.

    Reply


  • This is just another devastating situation. I hope this causes everyone to be aware of the dangers with babies and vape use in the home.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

Loading articles…
↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join