Being active on Christmas day is easy if you have the right Christmas presents to get you motivated. Whether it be a brand new bike, balls, gym equipment or pool toys everyone can enjoy some form of activities in the afternoon to work off all that Christmas fare. Here are some suggestions:
- If bikes are under your tree then taking the kids out for a bike ride will be at the top of the list for activities. Teaching your child to ride a bike is not only a great bonding exercise but it is a great way for them to have fun and get fit at the same time. Who says that bikes are just for the kids, so put your order in for a bike if you want to get fit in 2013.
- Grab the new cricket set and have a game after lunch to burn off all that Christmas pudding. A group activity such as this is a fun way to spend time with both young and old.
- Throwing the frizbee or new ball in the backyard will get your heart rate up and is a fabulous way to teach children eye co-ordination.
- If the big pressie is a trampoline then you will have no excuse not to have a bounce around and burn some calories on the 25th. It may not seem much just jumping up and down but do that for 15 minutes and you will realise that it is a great workout. I would suggest that you have safety rules such as how many can be on at one time as well.
- Wii activity games are a great way to do a workout without even realising it. Do a session on boxing and you’ll quickly discover that you can have a great workout while having a lot of fun.
- Badminton, tennis or squash rackets can also be a great incentive to include more exercise into your life. Set up a net in the backyard and get everyone involved.
- I remember buying my daughter a table tennis table one year and we played it all day long. We had round robins and loads of laughter but we also were moving our bodies, which is what being active is all about. Both young and old love table tennis so put this on your Christmas list.
- If you are lucky enough to live near the ocean or have a pool get the pool toys out and enjoy the outdoors.
- Instead of having a nap in the afternoon go for a walk, get some fresh air and burn a few calories.