The mum was shocked to discover that her son’s preschool was serving the children cups of tea.
A concerned mum has posted to parenting forum Mumsnet after her two-year-old son was given a cup of tea at preschool. The mum said she believed that the choice of drink was entirely unsuitable for young children and asked if she was being unreasonable to raise the issue with the staff.
An Odd Choice
Posting on the forum, the mum said she was surprised when she discovered what her son was being served.
“My dear son has just moved out of the baby room. When I collected him the other day I was told that he’d just had a cup of tea and a biscuit,” she wrote.
Submitting your rating…
“I assumed they were role-playing and really meant water or milk, however, the staff member said no, real tea.”
The mum said she was very happy with the care provided by the preschool and felt like she would be overreacting to share her concerns with the staff.
“Am I being unreasonable to think this really isn’t appropriate for two-year-olds?” she asked. “Before this, I’ve never had any concerns at all with the nursery.”
What’s The Harm?
Responses to the mum’s post were divided with some saying it was a strange decision on the part of the preschool.
“Is your child going to nursery in 1976?” wrote one disbelieving parent.
“I know this will go against the census, but honestly, I’d move nurseries,” said another mum.
Others, however, pointed out that their children often had tea at home and said it didn’t do them any harm.
“I’m not sure what the problem is,” said one commenter. “They wouldn’t have given it to him scalding hot.”
Yahoo7 said it’s worth noting that the official advice from the Department of Health is that tea is ‘unsuitable’ for young children due to the caffeine content.
While we think that every parent is entitled to serve their child whatever they feel is appropriate (within reason) in their own home, we can’t help but think that the preschool would be best to stick to good old water. Nobody can have a problem with that!
Do you think this mum was overreacting or had every right to be concerned? Let us know in the comments!