Catherine Hughes and her family have been fighting for vaccine awareness since their baby Riley passed away in March 2015 from whooping cough at just 32 days old.
Catherine shared a recent post on Facebook of the ten things she want parents who don’t vaccinate their kids to know.
1. There are no cures for most of the diseases we vaccinate against.
2. Even if you choose not to vaccinate, please please please make yourselves aware of the symptoms of these potentially fatal diseases. Infections like Meningococcal can kill within 24 hours, and every minute counts.
3. If you’re really worried about vaccine “toxins”, you don’t want to see what the toxins from Bordatella Pertussis (the bacteria responsible for whooping cough) can do. Trust me – I watched my newborn son die from it.
4. If your children contract a disease like measles or whooping cough, they usually have no symptoms in the first day or two – yet they are highly contagious. Keeping them away from others when sick is often too little, too late – the disease has already spread.
5. Your children will grow up, and you will need to be prepared to explain why you chose to leave them unprotected from serious disease.
6. Vaccines are not perfect. Like condoms… there’s a failure rate. There’s a tiny chance you might have an allergic reaction. But they protect you from a hell of a lot of nasty stuff.
7. If you are worried about where to get good and unbiased information from, speak to someone who has worked in intensive care. They have seen patients with vaccine-preventable diseases. And if someone was in a serious way from a reaction to a vaccine, they would have seen those patients too. I have never met an ICU doctor/nurse who is against vaccination.
8. Be wary of those selling books, memberships, and alternatives to vaccination. They have rea$on$ for trying to convince you to not vaccinate.
9. In the time you have spent reading this, a few more children under the age of 5 have passed away from a vaccine-preventable disease somewhere in the world. These diseases are serious, they are deadly, and they are preventable.
10. It’s not too late to change your mind!
– Riley’s Mum
Well said, Catherine!
Riley’s family have previously shared the abuse they receive from antivaxxers. Read that story here.
From July, Family Tax Benefit A payments will be reduced by $28 a fortnight for each child who does not meet the immunisation requirements - read more on that here.
Share your comments below.
Image via FacebookWe may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.