Mum left shocked after baby change table fell from its hinges while she was changing her 10-month-old daughter.

Sophie Ligeris-Almesmari said she was traumatised after the incident at a David Jones store in Chadstone, southeast Melbourne earlier this month, shares Daily Mail.

Ms Ligeris-Almesmari said her daughter only avoided a serious injury, or potentially worse, because of her ‘quick actions’ when the table collapsed.

‘To my horror as I have placed my daughter on the change table the whole thing has collapsed to the floor with my baby inside,’ she wrote on the David Jones Facebook page.

‘It was only by chance that I have managed to grab her leg and back and used my foot to stop the top from squashing my daughter inside.’

Ms Ligeris-Almesmari claims the store management failed to respond to the incident adequately.

‘Despite my best friend running to find management and reporting the problem, I feel that this needs to be very publicly noted and let people be aware that this has happened,’ she explained.

Ms Ligeris-Almesmari said management told her the changing table was regularly checked but argued the accident suggested otherwise.

‘My child is only just under 10 months and this has happened, imagine parents with larger babies,’ she said.

‘I thank God my baby is okay, however she is so because of my quick actions, not due to the safety of the stores baby change tables.

change table

‘I urge all stores to take the correct measures as this concerns all babies lives when parents trust your stores and facilities.

‘This should not have happened.’

David Jones responded to Ms Ligeris-Almesmari’s complaint on Facebook and apologised for what happened and for causing the family distress.

‘David Jones is committed to the safety of all our customers and staff and take this incident very seriously,’ the store said.

‘In addition to isolating the change tables in our Chadstone store we will be checking the change tables in all our stores to ensure they are safe.’

david jones 2

We are glad her little bub is OK!

Has something like this ever happened to you?

Share your comments below

  • I’ve never trusted the ones that fold out from the wall. My 2nd born was always much bigger and heavier and I was always thinking it wouldn’t stay attached to the wall! Good thing the mum managed to save her baby from serious injury. Could have been much worse.


  • Very lucky bub didn’t get hurt. Makes you wonder if having a mat on the floor would be a safer idea.


  • Glad she’s ok it would have been terrifying.


  • very scary for them


  • Lucky she’s ok

    • Oh my goodness, that is scary. David Jones should take this very seriously.
      Glad the girl is ok !


  • Glad her bus is OK – a newborn wouldn’t have come so lightly methinks. Just because Chadstone Shopping Centre is looked up to because of it’s shops doesn’t mean it’s maintenance people are much good. These centres want you to shop not use their amenities unless you really have to.


  • Very frightening. It would be nice for them to post signs saying when tables were last checked.


  • I never even thought they were dangerous, would have been scary for her


  • Hopefully this will encourage all businesses to double check their change tables regularly.


  • What a scare. Hanging changing tables don’t look so safe to me either!


  • How frightening. I’m always a bit wary about these types of change tables. I’m so glad her child is ok.


  • That has been the worst change table I have seen. It looks like a chair with a board on it. It would probably take the weight of a newborn. Every shopping Centre I have visited has had much more suitable baby change equipment than that, including those that have small budget – wise shops in them


  • Surely regular maintenance checks are done on these? Anyone else think the nappy change room is quite drab and dowdy and yuck? I thought David jones was quite a posh shop, yet their baby change rooms look like this! Nasty


  • How scarey….the stores should be checking stuff like this as a regular thing.


  • Oh my! How scary! Good thing the mother has quick thinking to be able to stop her daughter from being seriously injured


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating