Mum left shocked after baby change table fell from its hinges while she was changing her 10-month-old daughter.
Sophie Ligeris-Almesmari said she was traumatised after the incident at a David Jones store in Chadstone, southeast Melbourne earlier this month, shares Daily Mail.
Ms Ligeris-Almesmari said her daughter only avoided a serious injury, or potentially worse, because of her ‘quick actions’ when the table collapsed.
‘To my horror as I have placed my daughter on the change table the whole thing has collapsed to the floor with my baby inside,’ she wrote on the David Jones Facebook page.
Submitting your rating…
‘It was only by chance that I have managed to grab her leg and back and used my foot to stop the top from squashing my daughter inside.’
Ms Ligeris-Almesmari claims the store management failed to respond to the incident adequately.
‘Despite my best friend running to find management and reporting the problem, I feel that this needs to be very publicly noted and let people be aware that this has happened,’ she explained.
Ms Ligeris-Almesmari said management told her the changing table was regularly checked but argued the accident suggested otherwise.
‘My child is only just under 10 months and this has happened, imagine parents with larger babies,’ she said.
‘I thank God my baby is okay, however she is so because of my quick actions, not due to the safety of the stores baby change tables.
‘I urge all stores to take the correct measures as this concerns all babies lives when parents trust your stores and facilities.
‘This should not have happened.’
David Jones responded to Ms Ligeris-Almesmari’s complaint on Facebook and apologised for what happened and for causing the family distress.
‘David Jones is committed to the safety of all our customers and staff and take this incident very seriously,’ the store said.
‘In addition to isolating the change tables in our Chadstone store we will be checking the change tables in all our stores to ensure they are safe.’
We are glad her little bub is OK!
Has something like this ever happened to you?
Share your comments below