Hello!

8 Comments

Mums warning about the potential dangers of dummy’s after her son experienced a nasty suction burn.

Kristen Milhone from Michigan noticed something on the face of her seven-month-old son’s face.

“I picked him up, and there was a really big bump on the side of his head,” Kristen told People.

“I thought, ‘Oh, that’s weird’. I turned on the light and it looked like the start of chemical burns on his right cheek.”

The worried mother took her son to the emergency room where doctors tried to figure out the cause of the burn. After ruling out ringworm, doctors asked Kristen if she remembered anything else around her son when she first noticed the blister.

Kristen told doctors that Jack had fallen asleep with his dummy – a Philips Avent Soothie. The silicone dummy is unlike traditional soothers, and has an open space where a handle would normally be placed.

“I went and got the pacifier out of his car seat, and the doctor took the backside of the pacifier and he measured the opening on the backside to the spot on Jack’s face,” Kristen said. “It was the exact same size.”

Doctors then told Kristen that her son likely rolled onto the dummy while sleeping, creating a suction between his skin and the soother’s open end creating what they deemed a ‘suction burn’.

“It was hard for me to understand or wrap my head around the fact that this caused him harm,” Kristen revealed.

Her warning on Facebook:

“A warning to all Phillips Avent Soothie Pacifier users:

This morning I woke up to my baby, as usual but this time was a little different. My baby had a quarter sized, redened, raised and blistered spot on the left side of his head (the side he was laying on). I immediately thought chemical burn!

“As I grabbed all of his things for an early morning car trip to hospital, I thought “well maybe it was something in his co-sleeper” but that thought quickly flew from my mind because it was just him and his pacifier.

“None of the things countless safes leep books, ads, commercials or doctors warn you of. Upon further examination from one doctor, then another, they determined it was a SUCTION BURN FROM HIS THE SOOTHIE PACIFIER.

“As Jack rolled at night time he happened to have created a suction effect between his left temple and the back of the soothie.

“The diameter of the wound and the pacifier indentation were an exact match! My poor innocent baby, is now injured due to a product that is trusted by millions and was used properly. I will no longer be using these products once we can find a suitable alternative for him and until then its use will be closely monitored.”

The makers of the dummy have issued a statement announcing an investigation into the potential risks of their design.

“Nothing is more important than the satisfaction and safety of our Philips Avent family.

“We are aware that one of our customers had a specific situation arise and we are committed to investigating her concern,” the statement read. “We have a strict process in place to evaluate quality and safety concerns.”

Share your comments below

  • I hope the company recalled these dummies. We have never used any that shape nor has anybody I know to the best of my knowledge.

    Reply

  • Wow. A very unexpected accident.

    Reply

  • Ouch! that looks so sore – poor little one! :(

    Reply

  • Wow Such a shame this has occurred and I’m glad this mum has shared her experience around to try and minimise the event of this happening to another family.

    Reply

  • Wow I would never of thought. But anything’s possible. My 3rd child hard hair wrapped tightly around her toe last week it was red and swallon. Luckily I noticed when I did. I will be more mindful of dummies now too

    Reply

  • Oh, I would have never imagined that this could happen. This makes those pacifiers quite dangerous.

    Reply

  • Such a well known popular baby goods brand. Not a good look at all for them

    Reply

  • Not good. I have a different brand but a similar style dummy to this and would never have thought something like this aaa even possible!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join