Mum warns parents about the possible dangers of a bassinet with mesh lining after her baby suffered a frightening injury.

Erin Duffy shares how she fed her six-week-old son Parker at 6am and put him back to sleep in his bassinet.

When he began stirring at 11am Erin made Parker a bottle, and then went to pick up her baby up, she was horrified to find him covered in blood. His bedding and bassinet were also bloodied.

mesh cot

“My mum brought my son Parker his bassinet from Big W. It has breathing holes in it on the sides to help the air flow and to prevent sids I’m guessing”, wrote Erin on Facebook.

“This morning Parker had just woken up at about 11 and I went and got his bottle ready and then sat with him, I was on the phone to mum and didn’t notice anything at the start until I went to pick him up. I then saw a massive amount of blood all over him, he’s blanket and he’s bassinet.

“I got mum to come straight away and she took him to the doctors quickly so I could get dressed and get his bottle and meet her there.

“Turns out Parker had gotten his little baby toe stuck in the little holes in the side and it cut his baby toe. I never even thought of something like that happening and I thought it was a good idea having the holes to help the air flow but not now. Very very dangerous.”

“Although Parker’s cut wasn’t big at all he lost a lot of blood which is very strange for a 6 week old baby and even the doctor said it was strange.

“He’s okay now and is very happy sleeping. Definitely will be keeping socks on Parker every night to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

I will be messaging Big W and the bassinet company to inform them that it’s a safety hazard. Anyone with this bassinet, please keep on eye on your little ones toes.

Erin added, “This is Parker’s first time wearing a two piece as they’ve only just started fitting him so his feet are usually ALWAYS covered besides this one night. His feet weren’t cold at all (quite sweaty and warm actually) so I thought he would’ve been fine. Little did I know this would happen..

“I knew posting this that everyone would have their own opinions, but as a young first time mum some things do get to me. People have said that it’s fake and attention seeking and it’s hurtful that people think I would fake something so awful!”

“I didn’t expect this post to go viral, I’m just trying to spread the hazard so it doesn’t happen to another little bubba”

Thanks for sharing Erin!  It is a very important warning for other mums and dads x

Share your comments below.

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • I’m guessing there might have been a tear in the mesh as I can’t picture the toe fitting through just the mesh, the mesh holes would be too small


  • The poor thing, that must of really hurt


  • Thank you for sharing this with us Erin. Take no notice of people’s negative comments. I’m glad that Parker is okay now. He is a real cutie. Good idea about keeping the socks on his feet too


  • Hope more people will take your warning on board. Also hope your little man is getting better and will be OK.


  • How awful! I’m glad he’s okay.


  • Oh dear, so scary, thank you for the update though.


  • Wow, how frightening. Great awareness. Stories like this should be told and shared so parents can then make informed choices.


  • Aw bless, poor wee baby ! This is awful !! Thanks for sharing mum !


  • Poor little fella!


  • Oh no. It’s good to share these experiences so everybody is aware of all the risks. Poor little one.


  • Poor little thing


Post a comment
Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating