The heart broken mother of a teenager who died from a suspected overdose at the Stereosonic music festival has called for a shift in young people’s attitudes.
Stefan Woodward, 19, was rushed to the Royal Adelaide Hospital at 5pm on Saturday, after a suspected drugs overdose.
His grieving mother Julie Davis, 39, stepfather, Johnathan and brother Scott, 23, left tributes to the “happy, fun-loving young man whose life has been cut so tragically short”.
In an emotional statement, Mrs Davis, called for more support staff trained in first aid to attend events, particularly in extreme heat, to ensure those suffering from an overdose could get appropriate treatment.
“I keep asking what could have stopped me from losing my son, and my other two sons from losing their darling brother,” she said.
“More than anything I want something good to come of this tragedy. I want organisers of events like these to make sure there is enough first aid on offer to make sure that no one gets turned away, and no one feels they need to wait.
“I want friends to look after each and make sure it’s never considered weak to ask for help. I want authorities to make sure kids are kept safe with free water. And I want young boys and girls like Stefan to never be too scared to ask for help.”
She added: “Mostly, I never want another family to go through what we are going through next now.”
Our deepest sympathy to the family.
Share your thoughts below.