A mum has shared her horror after her daughter suffered a horrific McDonald’s injury resulting in severe burns to her face…

Taking to Facebook, a mum has shared her anger after her daughter suffered severe burns to her face, allegedly after visiting a McDonald’s restaurant in a US airport. The mum says her daughter was mistakenly given boiling hot water by a staff member at the fast-food chain and began to develop blisters over her lip, chin and neck just moments later.

A Holiday Disaster

The family were at the airport when four-year-old Lainey and her mum, Emily, decided to get some breakfast. “I ask the worker if they can fill up my daughter’s water bottle,” Emily wrote in her post. “She asks,’ do you want ice?’ to which I replied ‘that would be great.”

Lainey’s water bottle was reusable and insulated to keep warm liquids hot and cold liquids chilled, meaning the temperature could not be felt from the outside. After taking a small sip of the water, the unthinkable happened, just before the family were about to embark on their dream holiday.

“She takes a drink and immediately starts screaming bloody murder,” Emily said. “It was the most atrocious little, heart-wrenching sound you’ve ever heard. I turned around and she was the most inconsolable human you’ve ever seen.”

mcdonald's injury

 

No Support

After figuring out that her daughter’s drink bottle had been filled with hot water instead of cold, Emily says she was distraught. “Why would you put scalding water in a child’s water bottle?” she asked. “Especially since I had asked for ice in it!”

After approaching the counter to demand an explanation, Emily says she was given little support. “The employees were clueless on how to handle the situation,” she told a local news channel. “This is not how I intended to start our long-awaited vacation.”

McDonald’s said they are taking action to investigate the claims. “The safety of our guests and crew are our top priority,” they said in a statement. “We are taking this claim very seriously and investigating this matter.”

We really feel for Emily – watching your child in pain is heartbreaking, especially when you feel like it could have been prevented. We hope that McDonald’s put measures in place to ensure that this never happens again.

Has your child suffered an injury while eating out? Share your story in the comments.


  • Awwww that poor child.

    Reply


  • If only they had put ice in it, it wouldn’t have been so hot. Poor little cherub.

    Reply


  • Wow! No wonder maccas refuses to heat baby bottles. This little girl could have died so easily.

    Reply


  • This is terrible! How did these employees manage to fill it with boiling water. If it was an insulated bottle did they think it was a thermos? That’s the only logical explanation I can come up with

    Reply


  • Oh my goodness. the poor thing. This is just awful. I don’t even understand how this mistake could happen.

    Reply


  • Ooh, whilst this is an accident, it’s a very dangerous one. Hope the little one is okay, but I imagine she’ll have a fear of McDonalds now.

    Reply


  • Why would you ask if someone wants ice in it if you are giving them boiling water? Hope her daughter is okay.

    Reply


  • What an accident. I hope shes ok.

    Reply


  • Oh no, the poor little darling, that’s horrible.

    Reply


  • Of all the comments I read saying mistakes happen, well that’s absolutely rubbish in my opinion. It’s complete carelessness on the employee behalf who did it. You cannot mistake scalding hot water to cold especially when asked to fill a child’s drink bottle. Id be outraged and would lose it.

    Reply


  • the poor little girl!!

    Reply


  • mistakes happen but I really don’t know how boiling water could have been confused with cold.

    Reply


  • Mistakes can happen, but on the other hand, the mother should have checked as well, just to make sure it was ok.

    Reply


  • They need to have well trained staff not kids just because they to want to pay more money for Adult staff that why they employed the younger kids.

    Reply


  • Lucky nothing this serious has happened to any of my children.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join