A mum has shared a disturbing series of images that captured the moment a silicone baby bowl suctioned to her daughter’s face, leaving the baby unable to breathe.

Laci Wornick, from the US, shared the horrifying incident on Facebook, to raise awareness.

“These photos are super cute … until you get to the last one I took,” she explained.

“Elliott was having breakfast and I was taking photos because she was so cute digging in, and had scrambled egg everywhere. Thank goodness I was paying attention. I had been washing dishes and cleaning the sink so I could give her a bath. Thank goodness she was only without air for a handful of seconds. This could have been terrible had I not been literally watching as it happened. And it happened so fast!”


Laci says Elliott placed her head in the bowl, and it suctioned on immediately, completely covering her face.

“The bowl was slick and greasy from her eating. When I leaned over the island to pull it off, my hands slipped off the bowl. With ever scream she made, the bowl suctioned tighter and tighter. I ran around the island and was able to dig my fingers up under the bowl to break the seal and finally free her.”

The terrified mum says she just happened to snap a photo of the incident, completely by accident.

“The last photo was unintentional. I did not pause to take a photo of her unable to breathe. I was snapping a series of photos as it happened and I immediately ran to her aid the minute I realised it had suctioned to her face.”



Laci took to Facebook to share what happened, so other parents would realise just how quickly this could happen.

“Still shaking as I post this, but I felt I needed to raise awareness regarding silicone baby bowls.

“My sweet girl- she was terrified and so shaken up. I shudder thinking of her unable to breathe in there even for the short amount of time it was. Maybe I should have already considered this a possibility, and maybe there are reports of this already that I was unaware of. I haven’t been a ‘new’ mum in many years, and my bigs didn’t have these bowls. I know I have been known to toss kitchen stuff to my babies to play with (wooden spoons, cups, Tupperware) while I’m washing dishes to keep them occupied since they like to hang down by my feet. What if I had tossed her HER bowl and I missed this happening??

“I’m so thankful she is ok. I am not though. I feel ridiculously awful that this happened, and I didn’t consider it when I decided to use these. That I didn’t yank it away the minute she brought it to her face. We will not be using these anymore!

“These are silicone baby bowls that suction to the highchair to prevent them from throwing them on the ground
They are marketed for babies who are doing baby-led weaning. As you can see, they don’t suction well (to her highchair). She lifts it off easily every time.”

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • How terrifying for both baby and mumma, I hope both are okay


  • This would have been so traumatic for you and her of course. I’m so glad you were able to remove it from her quickly. They were never around when my boys were little but I’ll let them know so they don’t get them for their little ones.


  • So pleased you were paying attention and able to remove the bowl. It is an item I will be telling my children not to use for their young ones, and why!


  • Gosh that must have been scary. Luckily we don’t have any silicone bowls.


  • This is terrifying. I’m so glad she shared this story as this is one baby item we now won’t be buying.


  • I’d never have thought of that!


  • Scary – lucky mum was paying attention. I find these suction bowls never stick to the highchair/table as they’re supposed to, but I wouldn’t have considered them sticking to bubs face


  • Wow, that really is so scary. So glad she was aware and present and able to rip that bowl off straight away. A very timely warning.


  • Absolutely terrifying. I can’t even imagine how it would have felt to see your little baby like this. I’ll be making sure when the time comes that all bowls have suction on the bottom, and are only used supervised. Thank goodness the bub was okay.


  • That’s terrifying! I didn’t even know bowls like that were a thing! Thank goodness she was right there!


  • Oh this is super scary. I’ve always supervised my kids eating but I would never have thought this could happen.


  • I never expected this would also happen. So thankful for this article as i need to keep on eye.


  • It’s terrifying to imagine such a life-threatening incident occurring in a seemingly harmless moment. A stark reminder of how quickly accidents can happen. I’m so glad Elliott is ok.


  • Cutting the bottom woukd have broken the seal too


  • Very scary moment. Just shows you can’t turn away from your child. Glad everything was ok.


Post a comment
Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating