A stranger saved her daughter’s life when the toy became wrapped around the little girls neck.

UK mother Stacey Paterson has issued an urgent warning to other parents after her daughter Abigail was nearly strangled by a slinky toy. The popular toy is a regular feature in party bags and Christmas stockings, but a moment of unsupervised play quickly turned to panic for Stacey when it became caught around Abigail’s neck.

Harmless Fun

Taking to social media to share her story with other parents in the hope of preventing similar events, Stacey said she never imagined something so serious could happen so quickly. “Slinkies seem so harmless I would never have thought this could happen!!” she said. “She put it round her neck like a necklace. It got stuck and she pulled to try to get it off and it got tighter and tighter!!”

injury (1)


A stranger passing by heard Stacey’s screams and didn’t hesitate, running upstairs to calm her husband down and help him untangle the slinky while she called for an ambulance. “I will forever be grateful to the young lad!” Stacey said of the stranger. “Please be careful with slinkies!”

No Lasting Damage

Despite receiving abusive comments, Stacey did not delete her post in the hope it would help other parents. “Accidents happen and I already feel terrible – I don’t need other people making me feel worse!” she said. “Abigail is absolutely fine, she has some bruising but that is already fading. We were very lucky!”

WIN A Shopping Voucher! Take our quick shopper survey here!

We really feel for Stacey and admire her for being willing to share her story, but we think it also serves as an important reminder of the potential danger that toys can pose to young children if they are left unsupervised.

Has your child been injured by a toy? Share your story in the comments.



  • Such a tragic accident. Happy to know Staceys little girl is alright. Its sadly to know that people had a go at Stacey. A slinky is such a fun toy and you wouldnt think it could be dangerous.


  • Well, an accident for sure, but not one that’s THAT likely.


  • So important for parents to always be vigilant.


  • Oh my goodness, how terrible. So glad your little girl is fine now. One of those freaking accidents really,


  • Thanks for sharing Stacey ! This could have happened to any of us.
    Thank God your girl is fine !


  • How scary that must have been ! such an innocent toy !


  • Dreadful. I can imagine how scary the situation was.


  • Scary thing to happen to any child


  • The plastic ones can be dangerous as not so flexible. Hope the little girl is ok. My lot just the usual problems with not playing with toys properly.


  • Wow good to know and happy to know their kid is ok.


  • I’m glad she’s ok – I don’t think I have ever worried about slinkys strangling a child!


  • OH dear this is very scary I have never liked that toy and don’t buy It luckily


  • I didn’t realise it would be likely to get tighter and tighter. How scary and probably very easily done by children.


  • How awful for the poor child glad there was no lasting damage.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

Loading articles…
↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit