A mother-of-two who was experiencing behavioural issues with her eldest son discovers the shocking truth of what was causing his problems.

The woman, who chose to remain anonymous, took her three-year-old to the doctors after she noticed the issues, and the little boy was diagnosed with autism.

Much to the Sydney family’s surprise, the paediatrician also noticed ‘lead toxicity’ in his results. They discovered it was in the bath.

bath

She told Yahoo News the diagnosis ‘took them all by surprise’ because the family was a ‘typical health conscious Australian family’.

But her son’s sleeplessness, emotional outbursts, and inability to self regulate made life difficult, and she chose to do further research into the harms of lead toxicity.

The concerned mother wanted to know how her son had been exposed to lead, not only for his safety but also for that of her 13-month-old baby as well.

Eventually she came across reports claiming bathtubs built before the 1970s often contained lead.

Worried that her tub – built with the home in the 1950s – may have been doing more harm than good, she equipped herself with a home testing dye kit.

The kit came with a series of instructions and said to swab the drain. If dangerous amounts of lead were found, the swab would turn red.

‘Once I swabbed the bath, the dye reacted with the lead and instantly turned red,’ she said.

bath 2

The mother said she had been bathing her two sons in the tub since they were born, and that she herself had grown up in the home and also used it as a child.

The mother said she will work alongside her paediatrician to remove any lead toxins from her son’s body.

She said its worth all parents picking up a home testing kit to double check their bath tubs aren’t also affected.

Have you ever heard of lead poisoning before? Share your comments below

Read more:

Debate Over How Often You Should Bath the Kids

Mum’s Horror After Baby Nearly Dies From Drinking Bath Water


  • Oh dear that is scary. Thanks for sharing.

    Reply


  • Oh goodness! Who would’ve thougth!

    Reply


  • Just wow! That is one place I wouldn’t think to look. Thanks for putting it out there and giving us food for thought

    Reply


  • Goodness, now that’s something I would never have thought of. Thanks for the article! Could explain some health issues in our family perhaps.

    Reply


  • I’ve heard of lead poisoning before but would never have thought you could get it from your bathtub. Wishing him a speedy recovery and hope everyone else in the household is okay

    Reply


  • I have never heard of this from a bath but something worth sharing and learning about.

    Reply


  • Wow, who would have thought! That’s shocking! Worth checking if you have an old home. I have heard of it making children behave like they have ADHD.

    Reply


  • So shocking, toxins from heavy metals is a common thing we are all suffering from, have a read of Anthony Williams book Liver Rescue, Celery juice will help clean any out of your system, on an empty stomach in the morning.

    Reply


  • Wow that’s news to me – hope all doing well now.

    Reply


  • holey moley, I didn’t realise it was in bath tubs as well!

    Reply


  • Wow, glad she discovered it in time !

    Reply


  • Oh my gosh. What a shock for the family. Something that wouldn’t think of everyday. Glad she spoke up about it.

    Reply


  • Wow. How scary is that!

    Reply


  • Wow something you don’t ever imagine

    Reply


  • Wow, never heard of this before. Best check Granny’s tub.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

Loading articles…
↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join