Hello!

14 Comments

Cassie Hodges’ partner was making soup last Friday when the terrifying accident happened.

Cassie and Mark from Gouldburn NSW have shared their horrifying accident in the hopes of preventing it happening to anyone else.

Cassie has written about what happened and posted images of her wounds to Facebook.

Just moments earlier she had been holding her 12-week-old son in the kitchen. She is so thankful it didn’t happen at that time.

Cassie writes, “Please SHARE . I want people to be aware of the dangers of using a pressure cooker .

On Friday the 17 of June 2016 my partner Mark decided to cook some soup , having left it too late to slow cook it he chucked it in the pressure cooker . Selected the “soup” option and walked away .

25 minutes later I walked into the kitchen holding my 12 week old son, I called out to my partner that the soup was ready, he came in, I left to put my son in the lounge room to help my partner dish dinner, I told my two older children to go sit with him.

I walked back in to the kitchen and Mark let the pressure release valve off to release the pressure, the steam came out the top as normal. Then I heard a click, suddenly I knew the lid unlocked and the next minute I was hit with something .

The lid had unlocked and because it hadn’t finished releasing the pressure the lid flew off and the entire contents hit me like as if someone chucked a bucket of water at me, the noise of it was a loud sizzle . I immediately screamed .

My partner was holding his stomach and he pulled his arm back and his skin was all peeled off , I removed my singlet and ran to the shower , we called the ambulance . 3 ambulance and one ambulance car came followed by a fire truck .

I have severe burns to majority of both my arms my chest and my stomach . My daughter was in shock and was screaming in fear whilst watching me scream in fear also . The next day ( Saturday ) I had been taken to the Sydney burns unit at concord hospital where they removed my bandages to expose large blisters , I was told I had to have all my dead burnt skin removed by scraping with a rough towel and biobrane ( a pig skin/fat tissue ) applied immediatel , with just endone and panadol I went ahead , I have never felt such pain in my life .

They then bandaged me up and now day 4 I’m laying in bed knowing it will be yet another painful night . I haven’t seen my girls since Saturday morning and my 12 week old son has been with a friend each day as we cannot look after him, my partner Mark has a deep burn to his stomach because he didn’t get into the water as he wanted me to be ok his is much smaller but still deep and very painful . We are both heavily medicated .

Mark has to feed me like a baby, hold me whilst I cry through the pain and do everything else I need for me. I will be ok , but I want to share my story, these pressure cookers are not safe, I want the one I used recalled and I want people to be aware of the dangers , we did nothing wrong the machine unlocked prematurely, it should stay locked and unable to be opened until the pressure is all gone.

Please share this far and wide and throw your cookers out, or better yet, demand a refund. They are not worth it . 2 minutes earlier I was holding my son, my poor son could have been hurt . We are lucky ! I want to make sure this never happens to anyone ever again.

Please share and help me prevent this happening to someone else !”

Cassie’s post has been shared over 14.6K times.

WARNING – distressing images below.

We wish them a very speedy recovery.

Share your comments below.

Image via Facebook.

  • How lucky is it that she sent the children away from the kitchen.
    My Grandma had a pressure cooker. As soon as it started to indicate (you could tell by the noise it made) that it was full pressure she used to turn the stove down. You always turn them off an leave them for a few minutes before you touch them – well that’s what you used to do. Very occasionally one would pop a seal (which had to be replaced) and send food straight up into the air, then land back on top of the stove. She had one blow with Pea & Ham Soup in it.

    Reply

  • And apparently this pressure cooker wasn’t in the list of the recalled products. In Today Tonight they talked about this, and the fact that some pressure cookers have been recalled, but a lot of people don’t know it, so they continue using them. Putting their life at risk every time.

    Reply

  • I hope you have a speedy recovery. This has always been a fear of mine, even with the modern day pressure cookers

    Reply

  • This is terrible, hope the family is getting their strength back.

    Reply

  • I read this the other day on Facebook. That poor family. I hope they health fast

    Reply

  • Such scary stuff. I hope they make a speedy recovery

    Reply

  • How horrifying. I really hope they both make a speedy recovery and can reunite with their family very soon.

    Reply

  • Horrific injuries – poor them. Wishing them a speedy recovery.

    Reply

  • Poor woman how devastating for her

    Reply

  • Very scary. I have never felt safe around pressure cookers.

    Reply

  • My parents always used a pressure cooker, when I married I got one as well …must admit I was always scared and very cautious when using it. But ours opened manually, had to twist the lid to lock and unlock. Actually got rid of it a few years back. Much prefer my slow cooker now.
    Wishing you and hubby my best wishes and pray you are on the way to a pain free and speedy recovery from now on.

    Reply

  • Who would have thought this would happen.I hope Cassie and Mark make a full recovery.

    Reply

  • I don’t have a pressure cooker but was thinking of getting one. I’m rethinking my decision now.

    Reply

  • This is terrible! So huge burns for her but her partner too. It must have been terrifying!!
    I hope they will recover soon.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join