A mother has rushed her five-year-old son to hospital after his skin turned yellow from eating beans.
The horrified Sydney mother shared her terrifying ordeal on Facebook, warning other parents after her son’s skin went yellow and his urine dark after snacking on fava beans.
‘Ever eaten or given your kids fava beans?’, the mother wrote.
‘Just something to be aware of …. my 5 year old is currently in hospital and very sick after eating 3 packets of these this week.
‘He’s had a pack or so every now and then but not as much as he did this week.
‘We thought he just had a cold but yesterday we noticed he was actually yellow in colour, his urine was dark, he could barely wake up. Took him to doctor and they said straight to emergency.’
The mother rushed her son to hospital where they found he was deficient in G6PD, an enzyme which is important in protecting the red blood cells.
According to The Royal Children’s Hospital, favism is the occurrence of a severe reaction to fava beans (broad beans).
There is a risk of acute haemolysis, where red blood cells break down faster than the body can replace them, which can be life-threatening.
The break down of the red cells can lead to anaemia, which can cause pale skin and lethargy.
This condition is believed to affect 400 million people worldwide.
Gosh, so glad he is OK! I have never heard of it. Have you?
Share your comments below