A mum has shared a near-tragic bath incident, to warn other parents about the dangers of leaving bath plugs within reach of small children.

The Australian mum says she was woken by one of her children in the early hours of the morning, and what unfolded was a heart-stopping few minutes.

“At 4am in the morning our four-year-old son came running down to our bedroom shouting that his brother was in the bath and needed urgent help,” she explained on a Tiny Hearts Education Instagram post.

“We found our cheeky, adventurous two-year-old in the bath fully clothed with nappy and everything on.

“He had pulled up a stool to climb in (he’s never climbed in on his own before) put the plug in, turned the tap on and the bath was overflowing and the bathroom was flooding.

“The scariest part and something I feel deeply traumatised by is that he had clearly been trying to get out for a while and had given up and was tired… he was kneeling on his knees and falling asleep in the water.”

The incident prompted the mum to share her story, in the hopes of preventing a tragedy.

“If our four-year-old hadn’t of woken up I can’t even think about what we may have woken up too. Obviously there’s been a lock put on the bathroom door now and the plug is also in a locked cupboard.

“So many parents shared that they never would of thought of this either and they too have their plugs left on the bench or close to the bath.”

“I’m so so incredibly grateful my four-year-old woke up as we would never have heard (our room is at the other end of the house) our four-year-old is such a heavy sleeper too so it’s honestly a miracle he woke up. We had Archie (cheeky two-year-old) checked by a medical professional and thank god he’s absolutely fine! A few minutes more and this could of been a very different story.”

The mums says she’s now put an alarm sensor on Archie’s door, which sounds an alarm if he opens his door.

“I hope this story can educate other parents because honestly I consider myself to be REALLY on top of child safety … every cupboard is locked, every piece of furniture is anchored or mounted to the wall and every effort is taken to ensure the safety of our kids at all time but I honestly just never though of locking away the plug.”

Do you have toddlers in your house? Do you have the bath plug locked away? Let us know in the comments below. 

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • They can find so many ways to get into trouble! We always kept the bathroom locked, but putting the plug away is also sensible.


  • This would have been so frightening for you. I think your four year old needs a big hug for warning you. I also would never have thought of the plug being a danger, to be honest I was more worried about them removing the plug and sitting over the hole. My boys are adults now but it’s something we should all be aware of


  • How frightening! Our bath has a push down plug that doesn’t detach thankfully. I’ve recently been complaining about how it doesn’t completely stop the water from draining out but now I’m thinking it’s actually a safe thing now.


  • I always put the bath plug away I’m absolutely terrified of the same experience happening to me and my little one being put in a dangerous position. Luckily, mum got there on time.


  • Tiny Heats are amazing – I am so thankful I was referred to their Instagram page.


  • I am so glad they found him in time, what an awful thing that would have been if he hadn’t! A great reminder on how something like that – that most of us don’t even think about – can turn so wrong so quickly. I will be keeping the plug well away from the bath from now on


  • Thats super scary! and not something I’d ever think of happening :/ So glad he was ok….


  • Wow! Tragedy averted. Toddlers can be so curious. Who would have thought this even possible. Thank God he’s safe. So sorry for the trauma this would have caused.


  • A very timely warning. One never knows what adventurous children may do at any time. Do hope your warning will have saved at least another family from going through your trauma.


  • oh gosh the poor darling. how heartbreaking! thankgod he was ok


  • Scary indeed! If the two year old could get them self out of a cot, put a plug in and turn on a tap then they could even get out the front door! I think the alarm on the bedroom door is the smartest thing to do.


  • That’s terrifying! Obviously a very smart kid- I never would have imagined the danger!


  • So scary. Just reading that has made me cry. Precious little life saved. Poor Mumma’s heart. Such a close call. Good reminder for us all.


  • This is so scary! We have a Jack and Jill bathroom that leads to our children’s rooms. We lock the doors from the inside and hide the plug in a child locked vanity. Even with these precautions I’m still scared they could get in and get something stuck in the bath drain like a towel or toy. The baby monitor is on at night also so we should hear if they get up but there is still a risk that scares me!


  • Wow! That is awful. There are just so many things that can go wrong and we can’t think of them all. With such an adventurous child the door alarm is a must!


Post a comment
Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating