Hello!

38 Comments

Mum warns about dangers of common household appliance after her toddler suffered fourth degree burns.

UK mum, Jade Bishop, warned others on Facebook after her 16-month-old son was left with fourth degree burns. Sharing photos of the toddler’s blistering hand, the mum explained how being an inquisitive toddler, her little one loves to follow her around when she’s vacuuming the house.

Jade shares, “So I wasn’t going to post this for a few reasons. Mainly the criticism from people and the fact that I felt like the world’s worst mum. But it appears to be a lot more common than I ever realised! I just want people to realise the dangers of children and vacuum cleaners!

So basically my little man being the inquisitive 16 month old he is loves to follow me around while I Hoover up the house , yep no big deal he even pushes it and helps me occasionally.  So I turn the vacuum (Dyson) off and turn my back to unplug it from the wall. I hear Theo turn it back on, turn my head to hear him screaming. I yank the plug from the wall and he has managed to put his thumb in the bottom of the Dyson where the bristles spin at a crazy speed.

I go to him quicker than I ever have to see he’s got a nasty looking burn on his hand! I get him straight to the minor injuries unit (crying my eyes out panicking) thinking we would be dressed, bandaged and sent on our way to heal!

But no, we are referred to Bristol children’s hospital to see burns specialists and plastic surgeons the next day, with a 4th degree burn and possibly exposed tendons, they are now talking about possibilities of skin grafts and surgery & nasty scarring with restricted movement as he grows, having his burn cleaned and redressed every three days and an appointment with specialists weekly!

All from no longer than 5 seconds of having his thumb in that Hoover!

Please please please do not let your children near the vacuum cleaners!!

After talking with my nurse and her telling me just how common this kind of burn is!

It makes you realise that
a) I’m not the world’s worst mum (in actual fact I’m the miss health and safety)
B) we are not the first and we won’t be the last!

But making people aware of it could stop just one more tiny finger or thumb from ending up like this.

I just do not want any other parents to feel like I have the last week!”

Her post has been shared over 10,000 times.

vaccuum-cleaner-post

Poor little man.

Share your comments below.

Image via Facebook

  • Wow that’s scary.

    Reply

  • I would fully expect an injury like this if fingers get in to where those brushes spin. I’m not sure why this mum was so shocked by the injury

    Reply

  • Oh my goodness, who would think a vacuum could cause so much damage. Poor little thing

    Reply

  • OMG, your poor little boy. That is horrific. Who knew such a thing could happen. My son hated the noise of our vaccuum cleaner so I always had to wait until he wasn’t in the house. He would scream the house down. Perhaps buy him his own toy one as a way to re-introduce him to the vac so he’s not super scared of it (as I imagine he could be now). I hope he recovers quickly and is not scarred.

    Reply

  • Wow, I never would have even thought about this happening! It makes sense, though. I’m glad that I kick my kids out of the house to play while I vacuum!

    Reply

  • Hopefully his hand will heal fine and no further problems. Don’t feel guilty and thank you for sharing. I never would have thought a vacuum cleaner could have caused such a problem

    Reply

  • So quickly it happened, poor mum and bub

    Reply

  • Poor babe! Who would have thought this kind of injury could happen!

    Reply

  • Oh poor Bub and mum. Hope he recovers quickly and that you don’t blame yourself. It’s so easily done.

    Reply

  • Thanks for the warning. I wouldn’t have expected such a burn type injury. Hope he recovers quickly.

    Reply

  • This is a good warning to other parents. I’m sorry this little child was so hurt.

    Reply

  • Thats awful! I’m so glad my son was absolutely terrified of the vacuum.

    Reply

  • That’s a very nasty injury. And it happened so quick! Poor little one!!

    Reply

  • Thanks for sharing your article is a real eye opener

    Reply

  • Poor little thing. Kids are so quick. Thanks for sharing this story – it’s important as parents we are aware of all possible dangers and try to protect our little ones the best that we can.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join