A young girl’s love of bubble tea has landed her in hospital and prompted doctors to warn about drinking the beverage in moderation.

Bubble tea is a popular drink sold at Asian-style cafes and takeaway stores here in Australia. Chewy tapioca balls are often added to the cold, milky drink.

It was those starchy balls that landed the 14-year-old girl from Zhejiang province in eastern China in trouble, shares 9 news.

The girl’s parents took her to the emergency department of the Zhuji People’s Hospital on May 28 after she complained of stomach aches and being constipated for five days, the Chinese news website The Paper reports.

xray

Puzzled, doctors conducted a CT scan which showed up more than 100 spherical shadows dotted throughout her digestive tract.

After being questioned on her diet, the girl told doctors she had drunk one cup of bubble tea five days earlier.

However, doctors believed the girl was concealing the depths of her bubble tea habit to avoid getting in trouble from her parents.

Doctor Zhang Louzhen, who treated the girl, said she would need to have ingested a significant amount of bubble tea for an extended period of time for her condition to be this severe.

Another doctor observed that the tapioca balls in the tea were made out of starch and hard to digest.

Are you a bubble tea lover?

Share your comments below


  • I have never tried bubble tea though I would like to. I have heard stories similar to this in China where they sometimes use rubber in the drinks to save money but I don’t think we have problems like that in Australia as our food safety regulations are more strict.

    Reply


  • I’ve never heard of this before but scary

    Reply


  • My 12 year old daughter was introduced to these by a team mate on a netball trip. We have recently had one to try again, while away as a family. Thankfully our younger son was not impressed and I found them sickly sweet, with the addition of the balls quite weird. This drink may be very limited for our daughter, I think.

    Reply


  • Yes well that is interesting. Thank you for the information.

    Reply


  • I’ve never tried it and I don’t think I will after reading this.

    Reply


  • Wow! I have nver drunk this kind of tea and definitely won’t be. Imagine how much she must have had for this to occur.

    Reply


  • Holy cow, that kid has seriously drunk a tonne of this stuff!!!

    Reply


  • This is the first I’ve heard of bubble tea. Not sure I would ever try it now, crikey. I wonder if she just had to wait it out or if they gave her laxatives or something?

    Reply


  • I haven’t heard of bubble tea before. Seems she drank an excessive amount

    Reply


  • Oh gosh… this is why I have never tried bubble tea…. over a crazy phobia that this may happen ……
    she obviously had wayyyyyyyyy more than one drink though

    Reply


  • I’ve never heard of bubble tea but I’m sure one cup wouldn’t cause that much trouble

    Reply


  • Of course, again, parents never saying no to there kids and getting what they want when they want it, this is the result

    Reply


  • So, really it’s just a warning for people who drink insane amounts of bubble tea. I enjoy it in moderation, though I prefer it with fruit jelly to the tapioca balls.

    Reply


  • Never heard of bubble tea, does not seem healthy though.

    Reply


  • I have never had a bubble cup before. As a teacher, I know how many of these children can have!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

Loading articles…
↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join