So you’ve just made those New Year’s resolutions – you know the ones – the ones that often prove too hard to keep just a few weeks in!
Most of us have the best of intentions after an indulgent festive season, and vow to lose weight/exercise more/quit smoking or implement some other such healthy New Year habits.
But let’s face it, without a little help along the way, many of us will falter, perhaps even give up.
If you don’t have the dollars to enlist a team of people to whip you into shape, using the device that is with you 24/7, your smart phone, might just be the next best thing. Here’s a range of apps that can help you do everything from get fit, to lose weight and get enough sleep!
- MyFitnessPal – This great free app allows you to log your food and exercise wherever and whenever you’d like – even if you can’t get to a computer. Whilst you have to take a moment to record what you’ve been up to, they make it easier with a comprehensive database of over 2,251,000 pre-programmed foods and restaurant items. You can also share your profile with friends and cheer each other on.
- Nike+ – There is a plethora of Nike apps floating on the iTunes menus right now which are FREE! Nike+ Running – records your running paths and allows you to push yourself further by tracking your ongoing training pattern. Nike Training, Jordan Post Up & NPT Boom all bring exercise to a fun new level. Join their expanding online community and get your training workouts done without any need to visit a gym.
- Drinktracker – Here is an app to keep you honest! Enter the amount of alcohol consumption and percentage of each drink and the app will anticipate your blood alcohol reading over any given drinking session (of course this is just a guide and should not be relied on).
- Weightwatchers – You don’t have to go to a local group and weigh in these days. Weightwatchers have moved into the digital age in a big way with an app that has it all – health reviews, news, diet plans, recipes and enough exercise regimes to give your Nike app a run for its money!
- My Quit Buddy – Need to give up smoking? Then this app is for you. My Quit Buddy offers the support and advice that is needed for this hard to kick habit! Install now and find the support you need today!
- Sleep Machine – If catching more z’s is your New Year’s Resolution…find some peace and get some sleep with the Sleep Machine app! This innovative app provides relaxing white noise to lure the busy brain into a deep and relaxing sleep. Combine this with another app, Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock which is designed to wake you up when you are in your lightest sleep phase and therefore at your most rested and relaxed and you could wake up a new person!
Obviously there are many more apps which could help you with your New Years Resolutions, and if you have any you love, I’d love you to share what your favourites are. I’d also love to know how you find the ones I’ve mentioned above. Happy New Year, and here’s to a very healthy NEW YOU!