Mum told that playpens are horrible and practically a “baby cage”.
One loving aunt posted on Mumsnet forum asking people what they thought about playpens saying her sister in law is horrified and believes babies should be held and not put in a “baby cage”.
She wrote: “I have a travel cot set up in the corner behind the sofa. It looks ok – it’s the one that converts to a tepee.
“I’m keeping it there mainly for when my niece calls around with her baby and little boy as it’s handy to put the baby in every now and then.
“But my sister in law is horrified and says that babies should be held and it’s a “baby cage”. I really don’t care what she thinks but would be interested to know the general view.”
The comments have actually been very supportive with many saying there is nothing wrong with a playpen at all.
– “I think it’s absolutely fine and surely no different to a baby walker or swing.”
– “Playpens are sensible things to have, it’s safe and allows you a nice cup of tea.”
– “My nephew used to retreat into his and close the gate behind him when he was a toddler and fed up with the bigger more boisterous kids.”
– “I don’t see the outrage if the baby/toddler is happy in it. Of course you can’t hold a baby constantly…you need a safe place to put them whilst you prepare food/bottles, go to the loo etc”
– “It’s a good way to keep crawling babies safe while you are busy or having a 5 minute break. Make sure it has toys and that baby can see his/her time mum.”
What do you think of playpens?
Share your comments below