Hello!

12 Comments

The parents of a young Brisbane boy who choked himself to death while playing a game have warned families to be aware of the dangers.

The 13-year-old boy, whose name has been withheld at his parents’ request, died on December 30 while playing the so-called “good boys’ game” which is popular online, reports 9news.

The game calls for a person to withhold oxygen until they pass out.

Asphyxia games have been linked to dozens of deaths worldwide in the past decade, including the suffocation of a 12-year-old boy in England in June 2016.

Queensland Catholic Education Commission executive director Lee-Anne Perry confirmed the Brisbane boy’s death occurred while playing the game.

“The student’s parents wish this information to be made public to alert families to this danger,” Dr Perry said.

“The parents wish for others to be aware of this activity, particularly online influences that encourage young people to place themselves at risk.”

Federation of Parents and Friends Association of Catholic Schools in Queensland executive director Carmel Nash said parents needed to be aware of the online craze

“They are kids, they are not aware of the dangers and the consequences, and it really is the parents’ job to talk to kids about it and for schools to make sure they are making parents aware,” she told the Courier Mail.

So devastating! Please educate yourself and your children about the dangers of these ridiculous online crazes.

Share your comment below.

Image stock photo

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • Very important for us as parents to know what’s going on in online games and what our kids are up to and have open conversations about that !

    Reply

  • It says he was playing “the game” why is the name of the game not mentioned? It would be helpful for everyone to know what it is they have to avoid.

    Reply

  • If this game has a name can it be made public please?
    Is somebody who has sufficient details able to have the site/s shut down. Until I read this article I was unaware of this game.

    Reply

  • How? Why? Why have children to treat them like this. How did these parents make it to baby number 3 before someone stepped in and saved these kids. So so sad

    Reply

  • Such a tragedy. I read about this and just couldn’t believe it. Shows that parents really need to be on top of what their children are doing on their devices.

    Reply

  • A tragedy for the family and a sad loss of life.

    Reply

  • How devastating !!
    This isn’t a game, this is playing with your life ! And a 11,12 or 13year old isn’t able to understand that yet….

    Reply

  • these stupid games and dares! Kids do some stupid stuff these days

    Reply

  • Do hope parents will get on top of what games their children are playing and warn them of the dangers. Hopefully their children will listen and not believe they are invincible.

    Reply

  • Oh my! This is so sad. Poor child. I had never heard about this game before. :-(

    Reply

  • Very sad to hear of a loss of life over a game.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join