The flowers are blooming, the air is fragrant – spring has finally made her grand arrival. What better way to celebrate the most uplifting of seasons than to plan a perfect family picnic!
I still remember those sunlit afternoons, running around outdoors, playing family games, and savouring the flavours of mum’s sumptuous picnic feast.
Now it is our turn to create those golden childhood memories for our children. How do we keep the tradition alive?
Pick your paradise
The first step is to choose the ultimate spring family picnic location. Where do you want to go? I always like to go somewhere where the kids can run around and we can be away from it all. National parks are my favorite destination. You get lots of space, fresh, clean air, and a few hiking trails to enjoy after eating your meal.
Other great spots include:
- Local parks – A nearby park with plenty of green is a quick and easy location for an impromptu family picnic, and you may have the advantage of a playground for the kids.
- The beach – Don’t forget to pack the beach umbrella! If you live near the ocean, there is nothing more enjoyable, and relaxing, than a family picnic by the water.
- Lakes – Freshwater can be just as fun as the ocean. The nearby water makes a great addition to your traditional family picnic games.
- Botanical gardens – Spending the day amongst vibrant flora and feasting on delicious picnic food is a recipe for a magical family experience.
Picnic food ideas
My favourite part of family picnics is the food. There is something special about picnic food. It is simple, fresh, and it always tastes perfect.
Pack foods that are pre-prepared so you don’t have to worry about chopping, mixing, and concocting during picnic time.
Here are some perfect family picnic food ideas:
- Quiche – you can mix in whatever veggies and cheeses that your kids will enjoy.
- Pasta salad – depending on what you put in your salad you can enjoy a full, colourful, healthy meal with grains, veggies, cheese, meat and other additions.
- Sandwiches – make something special for your family picnic feast – think tapenades, mustard spreads, and fresh baguettes of bread.
- Crackers, veggies, and dips – a great aioli or chutney will make your picnic feast really memorable.
- Something sweet – keep it simple with gourmet chocolate, fruit, and some wine for mum, or go all out with a spring-inspired cake (think berries and vanilla).
Keep in mind a spring family picnic is about having fun and celebrating the season with the people you love – don’t burden yourself with an intense menu.
You can have a perfect feast with simple, prep-free items like cheeses, crackers, nuts, fruits and spreads.
Try a no-hassle picnic hamper. You can pre-order tasty gourmet selections, pack a few other accessories and head out the door to enjoy your picnic – no mum labour required.
The don’t forget picnic checklist
There are a few things you want to pack. This is a quick list that covers all the essentials:
- Insect repellent
- Picnic blankets
- Games (cricket bat, frisbee)
- Moist towelettes for keeping hands clean
- Extra nappies
Keep in mind where you are having your picnic. You may need more sun protection at the beach while a day hiking trails may require a couple extra bottles of water and plenty of insect repellent.
Dress everyone accordingly for the great outdoors – you may want to pack extra jackets in case you have a cool spring evening.
Have fun planning. Be creative, keep it simple, and welcome the season this year with the ultimate spring family picnic.
Do you have any tips for a great family picnic? Please share in the comments below.