- Makes 12
- Difficulty Easy
- 8 Ingredients
Ingredients (makes 12 skewers)
- 5 cups large-diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 36 large prawns, peeled and deveined
- Vegetable oil for pan
- 12 skewers
- Combine 2 cups of the pineapple, the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic in a blender and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Skim off any foam and reduce heat to low. Simmer until glaze is thick and syrupy enough to coat the back of a spoon and has reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 30 minutes. Stir in cayenne and set aside to cool slightly, at least 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat BBQ or pan to high until very hot.
- Skewer 1 prawn, making sure to pass the skewer through the thick portion and the tail portion, then skewer 1 piece of the remaining pineapple. Repeat, alternating between the two and leaving no space in between, until you have 3 prawns and 2 pineapple pieces per skewer. Brush the skewers on one side with the glaze.
- If using pan then lightly coat with vegetable oil, place the skewers on the pan or BBQ, glaze side down, and brush the other side of the skewers with more glaze. Continue brushing and turning every few minutes until the thick portions of the prawns are white and firm, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the grill and serve immediately.