- Makes 2 1/2 Cups
- 1.45 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 6 Ingredients
This chocolate spread is delicious and handy for quick snacks! The recipe is courtesy of McKenzie’s.
Are you sick of endless soap scum in your bathroom? See what mums are saying about Dettol Healthy Clean Bathroom Rapid Foam in their REVIEWS.
Ingredients (makes 2 1/2 Cups )
- 1 cup McKenzie's Chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- 4 Tbsp mild olive oil (or canola oil)
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup raw caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare chickpeas by cooking in 3 ¼ c water until well cooked (approx 1 – 1½ hrs).
- Place warm chickpeas and remaining ingredients into the food processor and puree thoroughly. This could take approximately 10 minutes.
- With the motor running, slowly pour in up to 6 tablespoons of water, one tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired spreading consistency.
- Spoon into a jar and store in the fridge.
This recipe is a nutritious alternative to other chocolate spreads on the market, being lower in sugar and salt and providing all the health benefits of chickpeas. Your kids won’t even know chickpeas have been used thanks to their nutty taste! If you wish to avoid peanuts/nuts, either replace the peanut butter with another nut butter/spread or omit it altogether. This recipe could serve as a base for other flavours, only limited by your imagination! Try adding a splash of peppermint essence and eating with strawberries, use brown sugar in place of the caster sugar for a greater caramel flavour or replace peanut butter with coconut and spread on banana slices for a tasty snack!