- Makes 10
- 40 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 9 Ingredients
This is a wonderful recipe for some healthy vegetable protein. Vegans can omit the egg and use more oil to help the mixture bind together. Great hot or cold and suitable for kids lunchboxes for something different.
Ingredients (makes 10 small falafel balls)
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tbl dried coriander
- 1 tbl cumin
- 1 cup dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1 egg
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- Soak chickpeas overnight, cook and leave to cool then process into a crumb like texture.
- Chop onion and add to the crumbed chickpeas together with coriander, cumin, tumeric and parsley stirring until combined
- Add egg and oil and mix with spoon until mixture comes together, adding flour as necessary to create a firm texture that can be molded into a ball
- Divide mixture and form into about 10 small balls placing on baking tray
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180C or until lightly crisp on outside
If you prefer tinned chickpeas you would probably need about 2 cans or 800gm but 1 cup of dried chickpeas expands to make the dish.