Colourful and tasty soup to warm up your heart. For extra spiciness, try adding chilli flakes, or my homemade recipe for chilli sauce here.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 tin of 400g lentils
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 carrot cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 small brown onion finely chopped
- 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 TBSP cooking oil
- 1 litre boiling water
- 1 TBSP homemade chilli pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 lime cut into 4 wedges
- Turkish bread (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot and saute onion until soft, add potatoes and carrots to pot, stir to coat with oil, keep cooking for 2 minutes. Add enough cold water to cover veggies in pot, add a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil for a minute, turn heat down to simmer until veggies are soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add lentils and the rest of the vegetables, add boiling water to pot and mix in tomato paste, stir to combine. Continue to simmer with lid on for another 20~30 minutes.
- Check and season to your taste and serve in soup bowl. Mix in chilli sauce and add squeezed lime juice. Serve with toasted Turkish bread.