- Serves 4
- 90 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 13 Ingredients
Bahn mi is a vietnamese sandwich – totally delicious. It’s a bit fiddly but well worth the effort to make these at home.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 250ml rice vinegar
- 110g caster sugar
- 1 carrot
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed
- 4 soft long rolls
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon hot chilli sauce
- 2 stalks fresh coriander
- Peel the cucumber into ribbons, then toss in a bowl with 1 teaspoon salt and stand for 1 hour.
- On medium heat, heat the rice vinegar and sugar in a pan, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from stove and cool.
- Peel carrot lengthways into ribbons, then cut into fine matchsticks. Add carrot, cucumber and the juices to the vinegar mixture and chill for at least 2 hours (overnight even better).
- Mix soy sauce, peanut oil, honey and garlic together, and then coat the chicken in the soy marinade and refrigerate for 2 hours (overnight even better).
- Heat another pan to medium heat and cook the chicken until brown and cooked through. Thickly slice.
- Split the bread roll. Lightly grill the cut side for 20 seconds to warm them.
- Drain the pickled carrot and cucumber.
- To serve, lightly spread rolls with mayonnaise, fill with chicken, cucumber, carrot, chilli sauce and coriander.
Recipe Home made Bahn mi
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.