- Serves 4
- 90 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 13 Ingredients
Bahn mi is a vietnamese sandwich – totally delicious. It’s a bit fiddly but well worth the effort to make these at home.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 250ml rice vinegar
- 110g caster sugar
- 1 carrot
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed
- 4 soft long rolls
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon hot chilli sauce
- 2 stalks fresh coriander
- Peel the cucumber into ribbons, then toss in a bowl with 1 teaspoon salt and stand for 1 hour.
- On medium heat, heat the rice vinegar and sugar in a pan, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from stove and cool.
- Peel carrot lengthways into ribbons, then cut into fine matchsticks. Add carrot, cucumber and the juices to the vinegar mixture and chill for at least 2 hours (overnight even better).
- Mix soy sauce, peanut oil, honey and garlic together, and then coat the chicken in the soy marinade and refrigerate for 2 hours (overnight even better).
- Heat another pan to medium heat and cook the chicken until brown and cooked through. Thickly slice.
- Split the bread roll. Lightly grill the cut side for 20 seconds to warm them.
- Drain the pickled carrot and cucumber.
- To serve, lightly spread rolls with mayonnaise, fill with chicken, cucumber, carrot, chilli sauce and coriander.