- Makes 4-6
- 20 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 12 Ingredients
This recipe is courtesy of Miguel Maestre. Miguel is a proud Ambassador of CARE Australia.
Ingredients (makes 4-6 )
- 250 ml milk
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 50 grams unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 vanilla beans, split, seeds scraped out
- 115 grams plain flour
- 3 egg yolks
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- caster sugar, to dust
- chocolate sauce:
- 150 ml condensed milk
- 200 grams dark eating chocolate, chopped
- 100 ml milk
- To make chocolate sauce, stir condensed milk in a small saucepan, over medium heat until hot. Add chocolate. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in milk. Remove from heat. Cover to keep warm.
- Bring milk, sugar, butter and vanilla beans and seeds to a boil in a medium saucepan. Discard vanilla beans. Remove from heat.
- Sift in flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until combined and dough comes away from side of pan. Remove from heat. Stand, covered with plastic wrap, for 3 minutes.
- Beat in egg yolks with wooden spoon, one at a time. Spoon dough into a piping bag fitted with a 2cm star nozzle.
- Heat oil to 180°C. Pipe 5cm lengths into oil, cutting off the dough with a sharp knife. Deep fry churros until golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper. Dust with caster sugar. Serve with chocolate sauce.