Oreo Cake made with Ice Cream is always the most requested recipe at MoM Member ‘AussieMumof3’s’ house! We can certainly see why!
An Oreo Cake like this does take a little bit of time and effort so it’s probably better for special occasions. However the resounding ‘more please’ will make the effort totally worth it.
If you don’t know the backstory to these popular little biscuits, here’s the full story on the Oreo Cookie.
An Oreo is a sandwich cookie consisting of two wafers with a sweet crème filling. Introduced in 1912, Oreo is the best selling cookie brand in the United States. As of 2018, the version sold in the U.S. is made by the Nabisco division of Mondelez International. Oreo Cookies are famous for dipping, dunking, chipping and chunking into baking. Since the first Oreo was manufactured there have been countless variations on the ever popular Oreo Cookie.
Just google Oreo Cake and you’ll be amazed how many recipes you will find … although we think this Oreo Cake made with ice cream takes the cake!
Thanks so much for sharing Rabia. This one is on our Festive Season ‘must make’ list.
If you’re a massive fan of Oreo Cookies, you might like to try some other Oreo recipes from MoM Members …
Ingredients (serves 10 | makes 1 Cake)
- For Chocolate Sponge:
- 1.5 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Caster Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- Pinch Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 cup Butter Milk
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 1/2 tsp Vinegar
- For Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 can Evaporated Milk
- 1 can Condensed Milk
- 250ml Whipping Cream
- 200gms Melted Dark Chocolate
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- For sponge Beat 1 egg with the help of beater, gradually add caster sugar and keep whisk till the sugar dissolves and the texture is creamy. Slowly and gradually add the oil and whisk till combined. Add cocoa powder, salt and vanilla extract, mix well. Stir in the all purpose flour and fold with a spatulla. The mixture will be very thick at this stage. Add butter milk (Add 2 tbsp lemon in half cup lukewarm milk and leave it for 10 minutes to make butter milk) till the consistency is slightly loose (not too runny). In the end add baking powder, baking soda and a dash of vinegar to activate the soda. Mix well and pour into a greased tin and bake on 200 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes or until the cake passes the skewer test.( It's when you add a skewer or match stick in the cake and it comes out dry). Do not open your oven again and again otherwise it will sink after rising.
- For Chocolate Icecream (Make 1 day before): Beat your whipping cream till hard peaks are formed (the cream will start holding shape of the beater rods and the beater marks wont disappear). Do not overbeat beyond this stage or the cream will split and churn into butter. Add condensed milk, evaporated milk and melted chocolate at this stage and beat for 1-2 minutes or till all the ingredients combined. Pour in an airtight container and freeze over night. You can fold your chocolate chips after 6 hours of freezing if you want.
- To Assemble cake: Cool down your chocolate sponge and split in two halves. In a loose bottom cake tin place half of the cake, pour some juice or sugar syrup ( i used nesfruta mangi, you can use whatever is available, tang or plain sugar syrup works too). Stand oreo cookies around the sides of your cake tin. Place scoops of semi set ice cream on top of the cake and press with back of a spoon against the oreo cookies. Add the second layer of cake (you might need to trim the edges of this layer so that it gets fixed without disrupting the oreaos along the side of the pan). Again, cover the cake with the icecream (semi solid) and pour on some chocolate chips on top for garnish. You can also garnish with whipping cream, oreos or pretty much however you like. Freeze for at least 3 hours before serving.