- Serves 4
- 1 hours
- Difficulty Medium
- 16 Ingredients
Pad Thai is one of my favourite meals to cook, not only do I get a chance to use the wok but I get to enjoy the kids trying to use chop sticks which so far has been the only way they will eat slowly enough to enjoy and notice what they are eating. A great Asian inspired meal for the family to enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 120g 2-3mm wide flat rice sticks
- 60ml fish sauce
- 60ml tamarind paste
- 60g palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder, to taste
- 80 ml sesame seed oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 100g extra-firm tofu, chopped into small cubes
- 8 large prawns
- 2 large eggs, cracked into a bowl
- 25g preserved salted radish, chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried shrimps / fried shallots
- 100g bean sprouts (fresh is best)
- 4 stalks Chinese chives, chopped
- 50g Unsalted roasted, peanuts, roughly chopped
- To garnish Lime wedges, chilli flakes and soy sauce
- Soak the rice sticks in cold water for about half an hour. Drain.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by combining the fish sauce, tamarind and palm sugar in a small pan. Heat gently to dissolve the sugar and season with chilli and set aside.
- Put a wok on a high heat and add half the oil. Add the garlic, stir fry for a few seconds, then add the noodles and a splash of water. Stir fry until they're drying out, then add the sauce. Fry until they are almost soft enough to eat (they should be slightly chewy).
- Push the noodles to the side of the wok and add the rest of the oil. Fry the tofu and prawns until the tofu is beginning to colour, then push to the side and add the eggs. Pierce the yolks and, when starting to set on the bottom, scramble.
- Stir through the noodles, and add the radish, dried shrimp, beansprouts, chives and peanuts. Stir fry until well combined, then serve with the garnishes for people to add as they wish.
Have all the ingredients prepared before you start cooking, this will help you from getting stuck and burning the meal. You can also add chicken instead of prawns and substitute the peanuts on top with cashews.