For a Christmassy twist, add a little gingham fabric, a ribbon and a little piece of holly! While this is fabulous on fresh bread or crusty toast, it also makes a beautiful addition to desserts like Bread Pudding!
Ingredients (makes 4 jars of marmalade)
- 6 Oranges
- 6 cups White Sugar
- 3 cups Water reserved from boiling oranges
- 3 cups Freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tsp Pectin
- 1 Lemon, squeezed
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Boil the oranges well covered with water for 2 - 2.5 hours. Remember to continuously check that the water is not boiling dry!
- Remove oranges and allow to cool. Reserve 3 cups of the water from boiling.
- Once the oranges are cooled, break/cut in half, remove seeds and then finely slice.
- Place oranges, orange juice, water, sugar, pectin, lemon juice and cinnamon into a large stock pot.
- Boil for 30 - 60 minutes being very careful that the marmalade does not stick to the bottom of the pot. You may need to reduce the temperature to avoid this.
- Test the marmalade is set by dropping a teaspoon of marmalade onto a plate you've had in the freezer. If it crinkles after 30 seconds, it's ready to take off the heat. If not, continue to boil and test.
- Ladel into sterilised jars, seal and finger tighten.
- Enjoy as often as Paddington and on everything you see!