- Serves 4
- 60 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 7 Ingredients
Bread and Butter Pudding is a wonderful dessert pretty much any time of the year.
If you have a half loaf of sandwich bread that’s less than fresh, turn the frown upside down and jazz it into a Bread and Butter Pudding. Or if you have leftover hot cross buns, croissants or even brioche bread, switch these out for a deliciously different take on a traditional Bread and Butter Pudding.
Side note: Ever wondered why Brioche bread or buns is so rich and sweet? And why it’s so perfect in recipes like Bread and Butter Pudding?
A brioche bread is a very ‘rich’ bread. Whereas standard breads can be made from nothing more than water, flour, salt and yeast, a brioche will contain plenty eggs, milk and butter. … The high fat and protein contents of these ingredients is what makes the bread so special. Find out more about Brioche and why it’s so delicious.
We love this recipe from MoM Member Kathryn. Look at the way her Bread and Butter Pudding rises!
And really, what’s not to love about a traditional version of bread and butter pudding. The silky, creamy custard, the juicy plumped up sultanas or the way the bread soaks up all the richness of the custard.
Once you’re tried Kathryn’s recipe for Bread and Butter Pudding Old Style, let us know your thoughts in the comments below x
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 6 slices Bread
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- handful Sultanas
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- Butter the bread (I do both sides). Slice the bread (I do diagonally across because that is what fits well in my dish).
- Layer the bread across the dish and sprinkle with cinnamon as you go. Add the sultanas in the middle (they burn if they are on top).
- In a jug mix the milk, sugar and eggs (I beat with a fork to combine well).
- Gently pour the milk mixture into the dish.
- Press the bread down into the milk mixture and let sit for around 15 minutes.
- Bake in the oven around 40 minutes.
- Serve with cream and/or ice cream.
As this Bread and Butter Pudding is the traditional version it is really easy to modify. I have done this before with raisin bread and you can also make your Bread and Butter Pudding with brioche. You can add jam to the bread or different fruits to get different flavours.