Amaretti is the Italian name for macaroons. These are small, domed-shaped cookies that are crisp and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Feel free to leave out the cacao and just have a plain Amaretti biscuit. Still super delish!
Ingredients (makes 12 Amaretti)
- 250 Grams almond meal
- 100 Grams coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbls raw cacao powder (omit if you want plain amaretti)
- 2 Egg whites
- 1 Tsp almond extract or essence
- 1 Small packet of blanched almonds
- Preheat oven slow at 150 degrees fan forced (302F)
- Line 2 small baking trays with baking paper or one large flat tray.
- Mix almond meal with the coconut sugar in a bowl and add cacao and combine.
- Whisk the egg whites until frothy and smooth and add all of it to the almond mixture plus the almond essense, stir to form a dough.
- Roll tablespoon or teaspoon sized balls with wet hands and place on the baking tray.
- Press an almond in the middle of each one.
- Bake the amaretti at 150 degrees (302F) for 18-20 minutes.
- Turn oven off and let cool in the oven with the oven door slightly open.
You can add a drop of maple syrup on top of each for added goodness.