- Serves 6
- 4 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 6 Ingredients
This is a wickedly addictive ice-cream, that is really easy to make. Seriously, it isn’t difficult, and most of the time spent is waiting for the custard to cool, and the finished product to freeze.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 300 ml Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 115 gm Caster Sugar
- 425 ml Whipping Cream
- 225 gm Crunchy Peanut Butter
- Pour the milk into a heavy-based saucepan, add the vanilla essence and bring almost to the boil. Remove from the heat. Put the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl and whisk together until pale, and the mixture leaves a trail when the whisk is lifted. Slowly add the milk to the sugar mixture, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon.
- Strain the mixture into the rinsed-out saucepan or a double boiler and cook over a low heat for 10 -15 minutes, stirring all the time, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the wooden spoon. Do not allow the mixture to boil or it will curdle.
- Remove the custard from the heat, add the peanut butter and stir together until the mixture is smooth. Leave to cool for at least 1 hour, stirring from time to time to prevent a skin from forming. Meanwhile, whip the cream until it holds its shape. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- If using an ice-cream machine, fold the whipped cream into the cold custard, then churn the mixture in the machine following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Alternatively, freeze the custard in a freezer-proof container, uncovered, for 1 -2 hours until beginning to set around the edges. Turn the custard into a bowl and stir with a fork or beat in a food processor until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream. Return to the freezer and freeze for a further 2 -3 hours, or until firm. Cover the container with a lid for storing.
You can personalize this recipe by adding chocolate chips, chopped up Peanut Butter Cups, or even finely diced crystallized ginger. It's quite a rich ice-cream, and while it can be served on its own, it's also very nice in Brandy Snap Baskets.