- Makes 8
- Difficulty Easy
- 16 Ingredients
Yes! I finally got one! I’ve been waiting for weeks to get my hands on the Kmart sausage roll maker. But I kept on missing out! But a few days ago there was one sitting on the shelf just waiting for me. And I knew that the first recipe I was going to make was lemon delicious eclairs.
You would think any recipe made in a sausage roll maker would consist of some sort of sausage meat and a variant of pastry. But I’ve had my sausage roll maker for a few days now and everything I have made hasn’t remotely resembled a sausage roll.
I’m on a semi-healthy eating plan (when I’m not binging on chocolate – oops) so I do my best to steer clear of fat-laden pastry. Don’t get me wrong – I adore flaky and shortcrust pastry – actually any pastry is on my ‘love love love’ list. But there really is no such thing as calorie-conscious pastry (if there is, please let me know in the comments below). So my challenge is to come up with pastry-less recipes for my sausage roll maker.
I’ve been the proud owner of a Kmart pie maker for a while now and I’ve come up with a number of ‘healthier’ recipes, including my stuffed mushroom pizza pies and roast pumpkin wonton pies. Of course, the pie maker is incredible for naughty desserts like the scrumptious baked nutella doughnuts and ANZAC biscuit pies.
A little while ago, I had my eye on a recipe I had seen on taste.com.au for lemon delicious pies. They looked delicious and I knew these would be perfect for my first creation in my sausage roll maker.
This lemon delicious recipe adapted perfectly for the sausage roll maker. The result looked like lemon delicious eclairs, with a slightly gooey custard, lemon curd filling. With a simple dusting of icing sugar, they were ready to be eaten.
Next time, I was thinking of making a slit through the lemon delicious eclair and adding some lemon custard and cream in the middle as an added citrus treat.
Just a note – these lemon delicious eclairs are best eaten warm and fresh (perhaps accompanied by vanilla ice-cream or custard). They get a bit hard and stale after two days.
Ingredients (makes 8 eclairs)
- FOR THE LEMON CURD
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (approx 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- FOR THE LEMON DELICIOUS ECLAIRS
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup custard powder
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs lightly whisked
- 100g melted butter
- icing sugar, to dust
- TO MAKE THE LEMON CURD: In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk eggs, sugar and lemon juice until blended. Add butter and lemon zest; cook, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a metal spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; cool 10 minutes. Refrigerate, covered, until cold.
- TO MAKE THE LEMON DELICIOUS ECLAIRS: Place the milk, lemon juice and zest in a jug and whisk to combine.
- Sift flour, custard powder and caster sugar into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Pour the milk mixture, egg and melted butter into the well. Stir until just combined.
- Switch on the sausage roll maker and let it pre-heat.
- Place 2 tablespoonsful of the mixture into each sausage roll hole. Place 1/2 - 1 teaspoon lemon curd into the centre of each pudding. Top each pudding with another 2 tablespoonfuls of the mixture.
- Close the lid and cook for 7 minutes until set and lightly golden.
- Remove the eclairs from the sausage roll maker and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining mixture and curd. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Recipe Sausage Roll Maker Lemon Delicious Eclairs
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.