- Difficulty Easy
- 1 Ingredients
A well-balanced, nutritious lunchbox should be portioned such that it comprises half vegetables or salad; one quarter grain foods, preferably wholegrain or low GI carbohydrates, one quarter lean meat, poultry, fish, eggs, tofu, nuts, or seeds, as well as a side of fruit and a calcium rich snack.
Don’t forget to pack plenty of water too and always keep lunchboxes cool with an insulated bag and ice brick.
- Fruit salad: chop a variety of seasonal fruit. To prevent fruit from going brown, add a few drops of lemon juice
- 1 serve of yoghurt
- 1 slice of banana and strawberry bread
Banana & Strawberry Bread Recipe
- 2 tablespoons (90g) reduced fat plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 medium bananas, roughly mashed
- 2 – 3 strawberries, sliced and quartered
- Pre-heat an oven to 160 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to combine yoghurt, oil, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and eggs.
- Add mashed banana (I like to leave a few good chunks) and mix through well. Fold through flour and strawberries, without beating.
- If the mixture is a little dry (which it might be if your bananas are small), add a little extra oil.
- Place the mixture in a greased loaf tin and place in pre-heated oven for 45min.
- Turn the oven off an allow bread to sit in the oven for a further 15mins before removing and placing on a wire cooling rack.
Lebanese bread chips
- Pre-heat an oven to 180 degrees.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over 1 large wholemeal Lebanese bread, sprinkle with dried herbs, cut into 8ths.
- Place in the oven for 5 – 10mins, until the bread begins to golden.
- Serve with an oven roasted chicken leg and side salad.