- Makes 20
- Difficulty Medium
- 11 Ingredients
You can pipe whatever face or body design you prefer onto the biscuit. Also you can add mini m and m's as eyes or buttons etc.
Ingredients (makes 20 biscuits)
- 125 g butter
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup treacle
- 1 egg
- 21/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tabs ground ginger
- 1 teas mixed spice
- 1 teas bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups pure icing sugar
- assorted food colours
- Beat butter, dark brown sugar and treacle until light and creamy. Add egg, beat well.
- Sift four, spices, bicarbonate of soda into creamed mixture, mix until just combined.
- turn onto floured surface, knead 1 min, adding a little extra flour if dough is sticky. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 mins or until firm.
- preheat oven to 180 C. Rollout dough on lightly floured surface to 4mm thick. Using gingerbread cutters, cut gingerbread shapes from dough. Place shapes on baking trays, lined with baking paper, allow room to spread. Bake 10-12 mins, Cool.
- ICING: Beat egg white until frothy, Gradually add pure icing sugar, beating well after each addition. Continue until icing is firm and holds its shape.
- Divide mixture into portions and tint with colours as desired, mix well. Pipe onto biscuits decoratively. Allow icing to dry. Store biscuits in an airtight container.
Biscuits can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. That is, if they are not eaten before that!