- Makes 1
- 90 minutes
- Difficulty Hard
- 7 Ingredients
This Skittles cake is a great party cake!
Ingredients (makes 1 Cake)
- 1/4 cup of each colour Skittles (red, orange, yellow, green, blue & purple)
- 1/4 cup Water for each colour
- 1/2 cup powdered Skittles, half cup each colour (food processor)
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 3 cups Icing sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons Milk
- 2 x 8" round cakes
- Place one colour of Skittles and water in a small saucepan and heat over low-medium heat until Skittles have completely dissolved, stirring throughout heating process.
- Once Skittles have dissolved, remove from heat, and place syrup in a small jar or heat proof container as it is very hot. Set syrup aside and repeat for remaining colours. A waxy film may develop on top of the syrup while it cools. If this happens, pour the syrup through a fine strainer.
- Using a food processor, grind Skittles until a fine powder forms. Separate the chunks from the powder by using a fine sieve placed over top of a small bowl.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Add Skittles powder and 2 cups of icing sugar. Mix on low speed until mixed through.
- Gradually add 2 tablespoons of milk and continue to mix.
- Add the remaining cup of icing sugar, mix. Then add the remaining tablespoon of milk if desired for a softer buttercream icing.
- To make the poke cake, place one 8″ cake layer on a cake board and “glue” the cake to the board with a small dollop of buttercream.
- Using a sharp, narrow, round object, ie chop stick etc, poke holes throughout the layer of cake. A fork can also be used, but the holes will not show the syrup as well as the larger utensils allow.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of syrup over the top of the cake, into a hole. Repeat with each colour until all of the holes have syrup.
- Apply a thin layer of buttercream on top of the first layer of cake, and place the second layer of cake on top of the buttercream.
- Repeat poking and syrup additions to the second layer.
- Once finished, cover the enter cake in a layer of buttercream.