- Serves 4
- 25 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
A healthy and delicious pasta sauce that can also be made ahead of time, or frozen. You can use dried pasta from the shops – but we loved making our own using the Philips Pasta and Noodle Maker.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 brown onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 celery stalks, chopped small
- 2 carrots, grated
- 500g pork & veal mince (or beef)
- 200ml red wine (optional)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2tblsp tomato paste
- 2 cups passata
- 500g pasta of your choice (we made our own)
- parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a pan on a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cooking for two minutes.
- Add the celery and carrot, cooking for a further five minutes, or until ingredients are cooked.
- Add the mince meat, using a wooden spoon to break up any lumps. Once the meat is cooked, add the red wine if you are using. Don't forget to pour yourself a glass while you are at it!
- Stir in the tinned tomatoes, tomato paste and passata. Add the brown sugar to bring out the flavour in the tomatoes.
- Turn the heat down so that the sauce simmers away, occasionally giving it a stir.
- While the bolognese sauce is cooking, cook your pasta.
- When the pasta is cooked, divide it amongst the bowls. Stir through a spoonful of bolognese sauce. Top the pasta with another spoonful of sauce and some grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!