A beautiful moist carrot and walnut cake, such a winner with kids and adults alike. This particular cake is requested every year for my brother’s birthday.
Ingredients (serves 10)
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup oil (preferably olive oil)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 cup plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Beat all ingredients except carrot and walnuts until mixture is smooth.
- Mix/fold in the carrots and walnuts. Bake in a 20 cm tin for 45 mins.
- After it cools, you can ice it by beating 1 and 1/2 tbsp of soft butter and 3 tbsp of cream cheese at room temperature until smooth. Then beat in 1 tsp of lemon juice and 1 and 1/2 cups of icing sugar. I also usually decorate the sides with more chopped walnuts.