- Serves 2
- 50 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 3 Ingredients
This Rendang is a thing of beauty. It is slowly cooked beef in a well-caramelised spiced and roasted coconut sauce. It is normally a dish eaten on a special occasion, as it takes a while to cook right, but with the sauce already done, you just need to make sure the beef is meltingly soft and the sauce has reduced to a coating consistency before serving. Serve with rice and some vegetables on the side.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 400g diced braising steak
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 pack The Spice Tailor Indonesian Rendang Curry
- Heat oil in non-stick pan and brown the meat.
- Add the herbs and spices from the Whole Spice and Aromatics Sachet and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the base sauce from the smaller pouch and coconut sauce from the larger pouch. Stir well and sauté the meat in the sauce for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 150ml of water and bring to a boil. Then simmer, stirring occasionally, for 40-45 minutes until the meat is really tender and the sauce coats the meat. You will need to add a little more water during the cooking time when the pan starts to look dry. Season to taste and serve.
For a vegetarian version use tofu instead of beef.